Calcium Reactors

spectrum

Non-member
Over the course of the last 2 years I've built a number of calcium reactors.
(in fact a number of BRS members have them)
Most of them have had a second chamber filled with media to "off gas" the CO2 in the effluent prior to entering the tank. Conventional wisdom has always stated that this was a good way to keep from depressing the systems PH.

From what I've seen, the second chamber has little effect on the water returning to the system. I recently installed a new sump and reactor in my system. I ran the reactor with only the main chamber filled for about 2 weeks, measured the effluent , it was 6.65.

Added media to the second chamber, waited 8 hours and measured the effluent, it is at 6.66 . Granted it was only 8 hours and I should wait and test again after a few days, but I starting to think the second chamber is useless.

Anybody else see different results?

spectrum

Hi Spectrum,
On my CA Reactor, the 1st chamber has the effluent at 6.7 and the effluent that is going back to my sump after go through the 2nd chamber is 7.4
I don't know but its look pretty good to me :)

Gustavo

Gustavo,
Is this the same reactor we built last winter? I used the same design on mine so I perplexed on the difference in operation

It is not the same reactor, this one is like the one you had where the mag3 is on the bottom of the 1st chamber and has no PVC parts.

I still need to build mine....the cylinders are still sitting in the basement...
and spectrum, I just realized I have some (1?) Mag3 pump that you wanted. We never hooked up. I'm glad I just realized that (I bought 2 myself) as I need a pump for some water changes I'm doing & other work

I just checked and I have 5 Mag 3 pumps. I bought these months ago. Spectrum, let me know if you still need 2. The other 3 I bought to build Calcium Reactors for myself

I have not had a chance to really get mine fully dialed in, and have only been running it as a 2 cylinder the whole time. So not input here. Had some issues with leakage that I still may be trying to patch. That and its being added to the 120g that I'm upgrading to. But all in all I have to say...

Thanks again for the help with the reactor Dan!

what would is the cost of one of your setups ? I mean everything, co2 bottle reactor the works. I want one but im so lost on how to make it work and what I need.

I've built about 8 calcium reactors and never bothered with a second chamber. They seem to work just fine for me. FWIW, IMO, calcium reactors are one of the easiest pieces of equipment to build on your own.

Back