Calcium Too High!

FinzAquatics

Non-member
I tested my water today, Calcium is reading out over 500. Weird thing is... I DONT DOSE calcium. How can i lower this? and what would cause this?

must be a testing error. what test kit are you using?

I had the same problem, I was testing wrong.

Verify that with another test. It would be tough to get to that level if you were dosing.

i was using the salifert calcium test kit. alkalinity is at 11. salinity is at .023. i have not tested magnesium.. would that have an effect?

i was using the salifert calcium test kit. alkalinity is at 11. salinity is at .023. i have not tested magnesium.. would that have an effect?

just checking but your not mixing tips or test kit components this could have an effect on the test.I would take a (full bottle of tank water no air )to john at sea creatures and have him check it to his kit.I had a kit that was off.

Last edited:
i know how to test water. i have almost every test available. i work for a lfs. i make sure all my tests are not tampered. all in cleaned vials, and i test properly.

Did you ever think about just leaving it. Maybe figure out what the balanced alkalinity is for CA at 500ppm, test your alk, and adjust accordingly. I don't think there is any problem with elevated Ca as long as your alk is balanced. Stop adding additional Ca and in a few days or few weeks - depending on your consumption rate, your Ca will come back down.

Rand Holmes has a calculator online somewhere which shows balanced alk and Ca.

alright, but i dont dose calcium... im trying to figure out how it got high. i havnt added any calcium buffer since i switched to red sea salt 4 months ago... how is calcium where it is?

alright, but i dont dose calcium... im trying to figure out how it got high. i havnt added any calcium buffer since i switched to red sea salt 4 months ago... how is calcium where it is?

I'd get another test kit. I find it hard to believe that your Ca is at 500 when your alk is at 11dKh.

Back