Can anyone identify this thin skin algae covering my rocks?

ZzzDerekzzZ

Non-member
Hi everyone,

Hope you all had some great holidays.

I've got a serious case of the ugliest web like, skin like algae or perhaps some sort of Dinos growing over my rocks like crazy... also at the top of the rocks I keep getting long growing structures of algae with air bubbles in it.

It's been going on like this for many months now, I've removed it many times and it keeps growing back. Maybe due to low Nitrates?

I have Waterbox 130.4, I don't have many fish at all. I just have a Melanurus Wrasse, a Clown, a Flame Angel and a Hawkfish... I just added a Diamond Goby and a Lawnmower Blenny a few days ago.

My API test kit showing Nitrates at (0) and Phosphates 0~.25ppm

I'm running a Reef Octopus Protein Skimmer Classic 200 INT, and Aqua UV STERILIZER Ultraviolet 25Watt bulb is rated for 14 months and it's going on 20 months now.

Perhaps I'm over filtering, with too skimming, running my 2 Neptune Skys too long 10-12hrs a day) old UV sterilizer bulb, maybe low oxygen? Also I only have 3 functioning AI Nero3 Wave Makers (1 Nero sh** the bed 6 months ago, and AI wouldn't do a thing without my receipt; it was only 1 year old! ) so perhaps poor circulation too, all contributing to low Beneficial Bacteria?

A) 3 days ago I removed a maybe 40% of that skin like algae sh**.
B) 2 days ago I added 220ml of MICROBE-LIFT SPECIAL BLEND beneficialbacteria, and per instructions I shut off Skimmer, UV, and removed Filter Socks for 24hrs.
C) Now I'm only running my skimmer 16 hours a day.
D) Sky Lights are now at 8% for 7 hours a day.
E) only running with my Waterbox mesh filter sock, and the felt sock is removed.
F) I'm over feeding now.
G) I also just ordeted a bottle of Microbacter Clean and Microbacter 7 that should be here in 2 days.

Trying to get my Nitrates off zero now.

Anyone know what that skin crap is, and what to do about it?

Thanks in advance.

Derek

Attachments

• Skin Algae 2.jpg
    Skin Algae 2.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 105
  • Skin Algae 1.jpg
    Skin Algae 1.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 107
  • Skin Algae 3.jpg
    Skin Algae 3.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 106
  • Skin Algae 4.jpg
    Skin Algae 4.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 113
Looks like blue-green cyano to me. Similar to the more common red cyano, sounds like you've got a good plan. I would first invest in some higher quality test kits, as API kits are notorious for being inexact. I prefer Hanna for nitrate and phosphate.

Try to remove as much as you can during a water change, a turkey baster will help with this. Keep your filter socks in it trap as much of it as you can and change them frequently. Increased flow will definitely help; I also prefer to dose nutrients until they're detectable, because you can control additions of nitrate vs phosphate whereas just feeding more will increase both.

Chemical treatments like chemi-clean should also work, but I generally try and focus on natural methods/eliminating the cause of the problem.

Find out why your water parameters are off, perhaps you need to do a half or full water change, suck it all out with a glass tube, apply your carbon if not using, make sure your filtration is all good (lots of bio media) after all that water changing id toss in some bacteria like fritz turbo start to really ensure your cycle.. feed half the amount for a while, make sure your lights aren't too high and water isn't too hot, establish a consistent health and potentially little filter feeders will flourish more and consume bad stuff. Lastly, get a mix of hermit crabs. Good luck

It was low nutrients, and so my remedy to raise nutrients has now left me dealing with green hair algae.

Those pictures from January look like a bacterial bloom, not algae?? Sounds like talk of treating for dinos, but I don’t see anything in the pictures suggesting dinos?

Back