Can I black-out my hair algae?

I'll be lucky to get 100k out of my ford.. and yeah I know what ford stand's for..lol

I only wish I had my RX7 back..(best car ever made)

NateHanson said:
Rotary is cool, but why do they get such bad fuel economy?
I had a couple and it's seem's more like a snowmobile the more you wind it up the better fuel economy you get. My svt focus get's worse mileage than my mazda got. The new rotary get's good fuel economy same 1.3l just 100 more horse...

Actually I'm pretty sure all chevys grow hair algae but that's another story. (I used to like my 72, 340 Demon a whole lot but now I won't drive anything but a simple unmodified Honda).

FWIW I would expect that that algae is going to come back somehow, somewhere unless it is addressed as a nutrient control issue. Can you limit phosphate in your system anymore? Do you change out RO cartridges often enough? (My RO maintence/lazyness/cheapness has been behind most of the algea problems I've seen in my own tanks IMO). Water changes?

Just my .02

Yeah, I'm sure you're right in general Jimmy. The underlying nutrient source for this hair algae problem was a mass coral death about 6 weeks ago, and I think I'm still getting the nutrients removed from the system with water changes and skimming. Before that crash I didn't have any hair algae, but the poor water quality in the time following the crash this HA got a grasp on this rock, and I think it's a lot easier to prevent than it is to get rid of once it's established. I think I just need to get this stuff knocked back enough so that it's too weak to grow back under clean water conditions.

That's the theory anyways. By the way, don't tell PJ that my chaeto is going to outcompete the HA once it's knocked back. That's how I control stuff like this under normal conditions, but that upsets some people. ;)

NateHanson said:
don't tell PJ that my chaeto is going to outcompete the HA
Band-Aidb.jpg

LOL...not if there is an underlying nutrient problem in that rock....

Nate, I think the complexity of your thought process is overlooking the simplicity of the situation :eek: .

BTW...I run a hob fuge on my tank, and will have one on my softy tank when it is up...

nice pick PJ, and I like the new sig :)

Do you think this rock is growing HA because it collects detritous? That's actually a possibility because it's got really deep crevices and holes all over, so it probably has nice nooks and crannies for crap. Since the disaster I've been blasting it daily though with a baster.

Nate

NateHanson said:
Do you think this rock is growing HA because it collects detritous?
Collect's and create's. LR fill's up with so much crap you would be amazed and a lot of it is self produced. Yes if it is or was a very porous rock it can be filled with way more crap than you thought that rock can hold.

I have been cleaning about 100lb's of rock for a while now and so far I have gotten atleast 5lb's of crap (that's a lot of detritus) out of them and still a ton coming. Most of the rock was Marc's dry rock so most of that crap is from about 30lb of old LR...

I would keep blasting it daily, keep up with water change's.

Have you scrubbed it down at all?

Nate - I had some hair algae when I first set up my tank. I discovered it was due to high phosphates. Once I got the phosphates down, I literally just pulled the hair algae off the rock and it never came back.

Back