can I have a manderin??

theone

not so well known member
BRS Member
I would like my next fish addition to my 50g tank to be a green or spotted Manderin. I know they are pickey eaters feeding on pods. I know I have pods but I'm don't know if I have enough. The tank has been up for two years and I had a ton when I had a CC substrare. Since I swapped to sand I dont see as many. I do have about 40lbs of LR.

What are the requirements for having such a fish? Would I be risking the fishs' health if I don't have a sump to house pods? Can I buy pods to add to the tank? What are peoples experiances with Manderins and would you recomend them?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Are there any fish in the tank that'd compete w/ the madarin for food (wrasses, some blennines, etc)?

Setting up pod piles in the sump to foster pod growth is a good idea. Do a search over on RC for pod piles if you don't know what they are.

Your best bet, however, is to wait to buy a mandarin until you see one in an LFS that eats prepared food like flake or mysis shrimp.

Thanks Moe, I've got a Black Sailfin Blenny. Don't know if that would be a problem. I also have two perc Clows a Royal Gramma and some Chromies.

I'll look on RC for that info but I'll have to put in the main tank. There is no sump.

I will also look in my LFS.

I think the real key is to find one that is proven to eat commercially available foods. Regardless of whether or not you have a fuge. If something happens where your pod-pulation crashes..you'll be in trouble.

Also remember that even if they take forzen foods, they do so in a very slow and deliberate manner. Any agressive feeders with a mandarin could cause starvation. My banggai's are pigs, and eat LOTS of food in short time. I've actually started feeding the manadarin in a shot glass or by putting food in the lower back corner of the tank for it to consume before others do.

Your blenny and royal gramma will most likely become competion to a mandarin as they all hunt in and around the LR and eat the same types of foods. Not that this can't be done, but these are the other "variables" that I'd watch in my system.

Dave

Dave,

Aren't the Sailfin blennies herbivores? I was under the impression that they only had an appetite for algae, not 'pods or other "meaty" foods.

Great points Dave. It gives me something to think about.

BTW my Sailfin loves meaty food.

Sorry... I thought you were talking about a scooter blenny (actually a dragonet) and not the sailfin. The sailfin is not going to fill the same "niche" as a mandarin.

Sailfins eat just about everything :) Mine used to tear apart nori, eat any and all alga, and all meaty foods I put in the tank.

Dave

Back