can i keep a clam with this lighting?

molsen187

Non-member
as the title suggests i was wondering if i could do a clam with my lights. i have 4 54w t5ho bulbs. they each have reflectors. the tank is a 55g-standard footprint, can't remember how deep it is off the top of my head. i've read to use 4w per gallon as a rule. i have 216w and 4x55 is 220 so do i have enough. i'm still in the preliminary stages of planning for a clam so i figured i should start with the lighting. i know some clams are more forgiving of lighting than others. any help or advice would be appreciated.

Here we go again.lol
I don't see any reason why you can't have a T Derasa,T Maxima.
Maybe even a Crocea up on the rocks.But If I were you I'd try a T Derasa first.
JMO,but I wouldn't even consider a clam until a tank is at least 8-12 months old and stabilized.Also,you'll have more experience with keeping water parameters in check.
Do you dose anything,calcium reactor,2 part,kalk?

thanks for the info.i just stay up on my wc and the levels seem to be fine. i know i've seen a ton of threads on clams but didn't really see one that answered my specific question so i thought i'd ask again. like i said it won't be going into the tank for awhile just doing some preliminary research. i'm a scatter brain and i got bored at work on my overnight and this is where it led me lol. i was leaning toward a derasa since i've read they are a little more forgiving. if my calcium or alk gets low i do have a two part dosing that i used on my last tank. this is my second tank too so i have an idea of keeping the water quality up.

Just remember, depending on how much space you have in your tank, derasa clams can reach sizes of 20" or so. An LFS near me has one right now that would take up half the bottom of my 46 bow

i'm pretty sure i have enough space for it. i can always rearrange the rock work if need be. it won't be for awhile anyway so i'll have plenty of time to get ready for its arrival.

your bulb mix rates in too....

I kept a big squamosa in my 92 under 8x39 T-5, but had 5 daylight and 3 actinic bulbs.

It is much happier (growing) under my Ushio 14k 250W MH

It still comes down to survive vs thrive.....

Clams are still a favorite of mine, running 7 in my system....squamosa, derasa, crocea, and a new max from BRASS

as the title suggests i was wondering if i could do a clam with my lights. i have 4 54w t5ho bulbs. they each have reflectors. the tank is a 55g-standard footprint, can't remember how deep it is off the top of my head. i've read to use 4w per gallon as a rule. i have 216w and 4x55 is 220 so do i have enough. i'm still in the preliminary stages of planning for a clam so i figured i should start with the lighting. i know some clams are more forgiving of lighting than others. any help or advice would be appreciated.

FWIW the watt per gallon rule is too outdated to be worth anything. As mentioned above it depends on the type of clam and IMO the type of reflectors. If they're true individual reflectors you could keep some croceas/maximas if they're up on the rockwork as I'm doing in my tank.

I also don't have any actinic bulbs, I have two daylight and two blue plus bulbs that put out the same PAR as daylight bulbs. If you had 1-2 actinics in there it might be risking it.

thanks everyone. i'm hoping to upgrade my lights around christmas time and thats about the time my tank would be ready for a clam at the earliest anyway. i know their are a ton of requirements to keep one thriving so i figured the earlier i start the more i'll know. figured the lights would be the best place to start since they are the most important.

How do you tell if a clam is healthy? I've had one for some time now, and Im guessing if you see growth (nice white shell near the top), then its healthy. Am I corrrect on this assumption? Thanks.

How do you tell if a clam is healthy? I've had one for some time now, and Im guessing if you see growth (nice white shell near the top), then its healthy. Am I corrrect on this assumption? Thanks.

No expert here.
But, just about everything I've read suggest that the mantle should look full,expanded and colorful.

i've read if it is real reactive to light then it is healthy too. like if a fish or your hand passes over it and it retracts a little thats a sign of a healthy clam. if it is slow to react it is unhealthy.

i've read if it is real reactive to light then it is healthy too. like if a fish or your hand passes over it and it retracts a little thats a sign of a healthy clam. if it is slow to react it is unhealthy.

Something I've observed.
The fish don't seem to make it retract much anymore.I guess it gets used to the movement.But if I walk up to the tank and cast a shadow,it pulls in fast then expands again.

-If a clam is growing and not dead it's probably pretty healthy.
-If a clam is not growing AND not dead, it's probably surviving but may not for long and is probaby barely getting it's needs met at best.
-If a clam is dead, well, it's dead ;)

IME unhappy clams usually don't hang on long.

-If a clam is growing and not dead it's probably pretty healthy.
-If a clam is not growing AND not dead, it's probably surviving but may not for long and is probaby barely getting it's needs met at best.
-If a clam is dead, well, it's dead ;)

IME unhappy clams usually don't hang on long.

FWIU,
T Crocea doesn't grow very large.So you could theoretically have a clam that's healthy,but not growing,correct?

Probably true, but IIRC most of those we see are not fully grown. Crocs are about the smallest clams commonly kept, but they still can get to a deccent size.

I would think not thriving before I would think full grown, especially when we're talking about keeping clams under light levels that are borderline at best :(

Back