Can I save the rocks for later?

Vinman75

Non-member
I am breaking down my 55 gallon FOWLR due to time and money. I am hoping to get it back set up in 2-3 years so I am saving/storing all of the equipment. My question is in regard to the live rock. Can it be saved and stored to use when I restart the tank down the road? What do I need to do to do so? I assume I will have to kill the stuff on the rocks? Also, I am assuming that the live sand cannot be saved? Any help is greatly appreciated.

I am breaking down my 55 gallon FOWLR due to time and money. I am hoping to get it back set up in 2-3 years so I am saving/storing all of the equipment. My question is in regard to the live rock. Can it be saved and stored to use when I restart the tank down the road? What do I need to do to do so? I assume I will have to kill the stuff on the rocks? Also, I am assuming that the live sand cannot be saved? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Absolutely, it really depends on how much work you want to do. I left mine outside for a month, and hosed it off occasionally. Then I stored it in my basement.

Probably not the best way, but I just setup a tank using it. No major cycling spikes or anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you rinse the sand really well and then dry it out, it can be stored and reused later. I've had good luck bleaching and scrubbing rock, then drying it well for storage. If you've had high phosphates in the tank, the rock can absorb some and there are ways to remove it (acid baths I believe) so it doesn't leach back out in a new setup years from now.

Put the rocks in a tub outside under the sun. Hose them down and soak them in tap water overnight, then hose them down again. Do it several times and let them dry under the sun. After they are completely dry, store them for future use.
When you are ready to reuse them, soak them and hose them down several times. Then soak them and rinse in tap water with water conditioner for several time.

If the rocks have algae on them, put the in a tub filled with tap water then pour a bottle of hydrogen peroxide (like those in market basket), let them soak overnight. Then repeat the process several time to kill of anything alive on the rock.

I would just let them dry out to kill all the unwanted pest for several weeks or months. Then place them in a tub with saltwater(from waterchange) until you need to use them.

Back