Can we have a thread on FLOW?

KyleinCT

Non-member
It would be great if we could have a sticky post or just a good thread on flow, specifically powerheads.....e.g the maxi's seo's, tunze, hydor, etc. I would love to know more on these and price points for each!

Pricing is an ever-changing beast so I doubt you'll see specific discussion about that topic in a sticky thread.

I personally use maxijet powerheads in several of my tanks. They are affordable and mine have proven to be extremely reliable. I probably own a dozen all told. In addition to using them for flow within my sumps, I also use them to move water to various devices (input to skimmers, input to reactors - phosban and carbon, surge tank...) as well as circulate water in my salt-water mix tub.

I think maxi-jets are also popular with modifications that enhance their flow substantially...there are plans on RC for doing so as well as vendors (including sponsor Oceanflow!) that sell pre-modified pumps.

I have two tunze pumps (6100) for display-tank flow. These pumps are cool because they have electronic controls that allow me to change their power over time creating more random flow within the tank.

I don't have much experience with many other powerheads as most of my other pumps are external devices, but perhaps others will chime in.

As far as "general" flow comments, I think it is generally accepted that more random or at least non-laminar flow is better. Laminar flow is basically what you get from most powerheads: a consistent stream of water (same direction, same velocity...). Breaking up/diffusing laminar flow in one way or another should provide better results...that could be simply having powerheads pointing into glass or other obsticles. It could mean implementing a surge or wave device. It could mean finding ways to alter the power or direction of the output. There are many ways to try and tackle that issue with many products available to help you try.

Also, don't forget about the search feature. It is often a lot more effective than trying to have sticky posts for everything.

Another thing I'd add to Joe's general flow comments, which he alluded to, but might not have been totally clear, is that wider flow patterns are better than narrow high-velocity flow patterns.

If a pump can push out 1000 gph of flow, and you put a 1/2" nozzle on it, you'll have a jet of water flow that could cut steel, and strip tissue off of flow-loving corals. But if you move that same 1000 gph through a 3" nozzle, you'll have a very effective flow that moves across much of the tank, and affects a broader area, but without the damaging force of the narrow jet.

Another advantage of this broad flow pattern is that it generally consumes less energy than forcing the same amount of water through a restricted nozzle, so you can get more flow-per-watt, which is always nice.

This wide-pattern is the idea behind the maxijet mods (changing them from 1/2" to 3" outlets), tunze pumps, seios, etc.

I'd say for powerhead flow these are really the way to go.

I'd also point you to Eductor nozzles. They are an amazing way to increase flow and improve the flow pattern from large external pumps. There's an article on them in the "Useful Threads" sticky at the top of the ReefTalk forum.

Nate

Back