Canopy/Light build

SubyRS25

Non-member
Ok, I will be building a canopy and custom light setup for my 46bow. I'm ok with the canopy build, its the lighting i could use some reassurance on. Here's the plan.

(1) 150w SE MH retro kit. Prob icecap ballast and Ushio 10k.
(2) 36" 39w T5 retro kit. Icecap430 ballast and icecap SLR reflectors and not sure on 420nm or 460nm bulbs.
(1 or 2) fans. Icecap has temp controlled fans, are these good/worthwhile? Prob mounted as intakes on the back ( i have ~3-4" to the wall) and a few exhaust holes on the top (heat rises) I dont have a sump so going overkill on venting to reduce heat absorption into the tank is a must.

I'm good with wiring, been well experienced for years, but where do i mount the ballasts, under the hood (wouldn't think so), on the back of the canopy, or in the stand under the tank.
So i know i'm going to be short on room with the narrow part of my tank being ~12". So if i had all that room to use, the T5's will take up 6-7" leaving 5-6" for my MH but i think i could run it parallel with the tank and overlap the T5 reflectors without much loss because of the even light spread from the T5's.
The canopy build will be a 1" stock frame with a 1/2" ply wrap painted and polyurethaned. I figure 1/2" should be ok to reduce weight and it would be very load bearing.

Backup plan for lighting is going with 4-39w T5's or getting a Giesmann fixture to hang underneath.

Does this sound like a descent plan, recommendations on lights and ballasts are always welcome.

my personal preferance would be with the halide and t5's ....not all t5's. and for heat problems i would try to mount the ballasts away from the tank and not underneath it. and if your gonna be 18" off the water your gonna need a bigger bulb wattage. i tried to get the bulb as close to the water as possible, without getting any splash on it. i have my 175w about 10" off the water and i dont get any water on it. thats on a 29g tank. your gonna be a bit deeper and getting enugh light to the bottom could be a challange.

good luck

Well built the canopy today, looks good. I went with 15". Looks odd now but i think after it gets painted black and lights are mounted inside it'll look good, ill post pics when i can.
I'm def leaning towrds the MH combo except for a guy at work wants to help me build an LED setup (we'll see how that goes, not holding my breath). So you think a 250w or 2 150w's?
I kinda have a mixed batch of corals, an acan, an acro some softies an anem. Prob stick with more LPS than anything. Would like a clam too.

clam is gonna love more light.... if you go with 1 250 you only have to deal with heat from 1 ballast.....

I'm sure the clam would, I ended up ordering 1 150w and the should be in today actually, can't wait, thinking i could always add a second as necessary. I have been waiting to complete the canopy to get the lights in for a dry fit, then i can locate and cut in my vents.
I wanted to allow air movement on the sides but not have stray light leakage so my plan as of now is to cut a series of slots on the sides, 1/4-3/8's high by as wide as possible and stacked to about 4" high then mount another panel on the inside of the frame to block the light, air would be able to go over and under the board and out the slots for exhaust and mount my 1 4" fan as intake on the back center, more or less pointed at the MH. I've been meaning to take pics and i will as i finish it. More to come after the weekend.

Sounds like it is starting to come together.
Post them pics when you get a chance.

i will tel you this.... one fan might not be enough you may want to go with 2.. i have 2 4" fans , one on each end of my hood on a 29g and it is still not really enough that light heats the water like crazy.... and i have about a 4 inch space on the back of the canopy to let more hot air out. just some thoughts.... but ya get some pics up here....

Pics coming soon, I promise. Life has been crazy. Wedding season is finally over to let me get back to everything else.
Canopy is nearly done, just need to refinish the doors, i'm not happy with how they came out. But its operational and sitting over the tank. I went with a 15" height and it looked goofy at first but i love the room to get into the tank if necesary, however i think my 150w is being under utilized with the almost 12" of seperation from the water. Currently it is mounted flush with top, i think i will get some chains to be able to adjust the height between operation and maintance times. I just hope it wont affect the actinics too much when its low.
It does get warm in there and tank temps have been about 84 up from my 78 i was keeping it at but my fan hasn't been running full bore, its a 4" icecap variable, so i am going to try relocating the sensor to better utilize the fans potential.
All in all i'm happy with it and hope to get a clam soon.

Back