Cant increase nitrates

Chlorinated

Non-member
Hi All,

Some background- I have an IM nuvo 20, about 6 years old now. Well established with 2 clowns, lots of softies and LPS and a few SPS mixed in. Only dosing is kalk. Biweekly water changes of 4-5 gallons with RS Blue bucket. Daily feeding with TDO pellets.

Salinity 1.026
PH 8.0
KH 8.8
Cal 420
Mg ?
nitrate 0
Phosphate 0.08

For the last year or so I have been getting on and off bacterial blooms. Not the traditional type where the water is clouded, but a version that coats my glass and filters clogging everything up. My filter floss will fully clog in hours with this clear gel like slime, my reactor for GAC clogs and stops running. Corals seem largely unaffected, but filtration wise it's a nightmare.

We don't burn candles I use air freshener or anything like that in the apartment so this can be ruled out.

It is definitely nutrient driven. The only way I've found to knock it back is to baste my whole sand bed and all my rocks over and over for a couple days constantly changing my floss. After a few days, the tank is back to normal. It will stay this way for a week or 2 and then I get hit with another bloom. As an additional note, I dont have a speck of algae anywhere in my tank. Coralie also isnt growing, coral growth is slow. Colors ok but could be better.

I know having inballanced nutrients can cause all kinds of issues both with algae and bacteria. Every time I test I get phosphate (0.04-0.08) but my nitrate is always undetectable. To get my nitrates up, I feed more, or target feed corals. But...when I do, bacterial bloom the next day.

I'm sure the bacteria is consuming the nitrates before I can detect them, but I can't get my level up. My hope is by raising nitrate, I can get past this stupid bacterial issue.

So, I am looking for advice. No algae is nice, but growth is slow...in a nano not the worst thing I guess...and colors could definitely be better. Thoughts on how to proceed? I'm at a loss so anything would be appreciated!
20211020_164956.jpg

Are you sure this isn't dinoflagellates?
I don't believe so. It doesn't have that snit like consistency with the bubbles trapped in it. I will see long strands of it on the glass mixed with the film algae on the glass and the rest it clogging my filters. I don't see it on the rocks or sand. If it is, it is minimal

Is it worth just getting some potassium nitrate and dosing to get my nitrates up and see what happens? Basically skip the whole feed more and let the fish waste pump it up?

I had a twenty with four fish. It’s possible. But other things you could do is less water changes. Two water changes a week ? At 4-5 gallons? Why? Is this how your maintaining the big three? If not cut back. Shut skimmer off. Feed more.

I had a twenty with four fish. It’s possible. But other things you could do is less water changes. Two water changes a week ? At 4-5 gallons? Why? Is this how your maintaining the big three? If not cut back. Shut skimmer off. Feed more.
Biweekly as in every other week, not twice weekly.

I'm mortified to admit that one of my tanks requires dosed nitrate. "Ten years ago me" would be disgusted with "present day me.'

I use the brightwell product. I tried feeding more but I found that it increased phosphate more than nitrate.

This might help. https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/to...onsuming-tank/?do=findComment&comment=5079358

also Dr Tim said
different organics may drive
different bacterial species, and switching to
a different organic or mix of organics may
drive a different species that tends less
towards slime.
So change it up.
Thanks for the link. I did try to out compete it once. I did the 3 days fish to get things back to normal. I then dosed MB7...1 cap per day like starting a new tank. Did it for a full week.

Things stayed good for like a month but then another bloom came. So there was some promise but it didn't stick. Also not feasible to dose MB7 like that every day just to keep it at bay. There must be another solution.

100% it's a competitive strain that is taking over. Any recommendations on what to use? Vibrant? MB7 again? Something else?

I'm mortified to admit that one of my tanks requires dosed nitrate. "Ten years ago me" would be disgusted with "present day me.'

I use the brightwell product. I tried feeding more but I found that it increased phosphate more than nitrate.
I always found it weird that people dose nitrate as well...just feed more! But in my case that doesn't work. That's why I'm considering it. Skip the middle man in a way and just bump the nutrients quickly and maybe kick this issue

If it’s a bacterial mat you will need to find out what carbon source it’s consuming. Something in your tank is feeding it. I will get these if I dose too much vodka to the tank but there’s plenty of other sources that could potentially feed it.

Salinity refractometer
pH API
KH Hanna
Ca Salifert
Nitrate Nyos
Phosphate Hanna
I'm not sure how reliable Nyos Nitrate tests are but make sure you're using a good test. Sometime the nutrients is there but it's just not being tested right. Have you tried another kit? Hanna makes an excellent Nirtrate checker.

I'm not sure how reliable Nyos Nitrate tests are but make sure you're using a good test. Sometime the nutrients is there but it's just not being tested right. Have you tried another kit? Hanna makes an excellent Nirtrate checker.
Can never be 100% with hobby grade kits lol. I plan to get a high range Hanna as an Xmas gift for myself. May try swinging by All Things Aquatic this weekend for a 2nd opinion

Back