Capturing a crab

Dp11

Non-member
I found a crab in my tank other night must have hitchhiked in on some live rock, I couldn't get a picture of him but he is about the size of a nickel, grayish brownish? hairy, and has dark claws, someone said rock crab? But said get him out! I read the thread about getting rid of them, one thought was to put a 3-4" glass with stinky food near the rock and wait for him to go in, my question is does this work and what should I use as "stinky food"
Thanks for any thoughts
Can't wait to get him out because we are almost ready to start adding fish ect.

It sounds like a gorilla crab. If it is, you should take out. A piece of fish, shrimp, or krill should do it, it might take you leaving it there for a few days, but it should work! Bottle traps should work too. Plenty of videos on youtube to show you how to make them.

Oh I have caught many a gorilla crab with the glass method. Many a hermit too, but that's ok. Heh.

I think he's on to me, how do i lure him out?
I saw him Saturday but haven't been able to find him since, so for the past 2 nights I set 2 glass jars with raw scalop one on each side of the tank leaning up against the rock and nothing I know some have said it may take more than a day or two but was wondering if another type of bait would work better also do they ever come out during the day I only seen him out that one time at night

Back