Central / Western MA anyone?

Yup, there is at least one person from central Mass. I think he goes by mikrok.

Last edited:
I'm another Mike from Rutland, and there is another Mike from West Brookfield. Feel free to call on me anytime if you need any assistance with your tank. Just send me a PM.

Questions...where did you get your tank, and what stores do you know of in Central Mass that carry SW stuff? There are a few places around, but they don't advertise much.

I'm in Amherst... much less experience than others here, but always willing to help.

Jeff

I got my 54g AGA corner bow from Dave's Soda and Pet Food City in Hadley. Everything else I've bought online. No stock yet, just hirocks dry base rock. I tossed in a couple dead shrimp yesterday to kick off my cycle.

I've heard there's a SW place in Feeding Hills that's good. I haven't been yet. I know there's James Tropical Fish in springfield, but not sure what they have for SW. My wife is from springfield, so I'm out that way regularly.

I'm going to be looking for a cup or two of live sand in a few weeks if someone doesn't mind sharing. Also, I'll be looking for a place to buy some LR to seed my base rock and add some critters to the tank. I may order from liverocks.com, or just pick up a few pounds locally.

My tank is running a Remora with an MJ1200, plus two mj900's and a 250 watt ebo. I'm planning on waiting 6-12 mo before I add anything other than fish.

AquaDreams is in Feeding Hills - it's a great LFS. Very easy to get to from Springfield. Staff is knowledgeable and selection is great.

There is also another LFS in Hadley, I can't think of the name off-hand, but it is in the same plaza as "Christmas Loft". Owner is super-cool, although I believe his true passion is freshwater (very nice Koi pond display in there, though!) Yet, he sells SW supplies and might be good in a pinch. Dave's Soda and Pet Food City is OK, IMHO, but too much like PetCo. or similar - I haven't been impressed by the staff. Just my 0.02$ on the Western MA LFS scene...

Yeah, Dave's had very little selection, but they had the tank I wanted cheap. I'll have to check out aquadreams. I wasn't too thrilled with the LFS in natick, but maybe I'll give it another chance...

Mike from West Brookfield

I have had good luck with Nature's Hideout on route 12 in Auburn or Klem's on route 9 in Spencer at the end of route 49 from Sturbridge.

James Tropical Fish in Springfield is OK, they have a decent selection of fish, but are limited on equipment. Aqua Dreams in Feeding Hills is a really good store. Klems has stuff cheap. (Mike they had 2 blue neon gobies left today...$8.99.)

FYI: Nature's Hideout in Auburn is in a little shopping plaza on Rt 12 next to a driving range

Stopped by Klem's today. Nice selection of fish and inverts. better than I expected, for sure. The equipment selection isnt' that great, but I don't need anything major anymore anyway. Plenty of salt, carbon and meds for when I need them. And open till 8! Thanks for the recommendation!

JWeb said:
There is also another LFS in Hadley, I can't think of the name off-hand, but it is in the same plaza as "Christmas Loft". Owner is super-cool, although I believe his true passion is freshwater (very nice Koi pond display in there, though!) Yet, he sells SW supplies and might be good in a pinch. ...

That would be Exotic Fish and Pet on Route 9. Russell is the owner. I just heard that he is going out of buisness soon though.

Back