Chaeto?

pyro

Non-member
I've heard of the benefits of using chaeto is to lower nitrates as well as house pods. I've also read/heard it requires high flow to make it "tumble". I only have a HOB fuge and the total volume is 1 gallon. The box says it pumps 4.5 or 4.8 gph or something, and that's controlled by an air pump (the HOB fuge is made by finnex). Is it true that chaeto needs high flow? Could I just use a 2700K bulb to make the chaeto grow/absorb nitrates, or does chaeto also require a light to grow/absorb them anyways?

Tumble is gOod but not required you cqn turn it over every few days so it all gets light. Light is required, its photo synthetic algae like a plant. A 6500 bulb works well like the hOme depot fluorescents. I don't know how much you will gain from 1 gallon though.

What do you mean by gain though? It worked to attach my frag cuttings.. and what type of light from home depot? Like a regular household bulb? What about a more cost effective method so my electricity won't be to high?

Flow is not an issue for the chaeto, flow is an issue with the crap it will collect within the twirling mass of green as it grows and to cause it to roll around withing a water cell so that light gets to all parts of it to maximize growth. It will get thick, so without heavy flow it can accumulate detritus, which can suffocate and kill it at the center and releases the nutrients back into the water. Same for making sure all sides get light, if it is allowed to get so thick that light no longer gets through, the underside will die and release nutrients back into the water. For chaeto to work as a removal system it needs to be grown and pruned often. Removing material is the only way nutirents are removed from the system.

So I could get a simple household bulb to grow chaeto? If that's the case I may just put xenia in there with a light and an air stone because its so small.. lol would that work?

So I could get a simple household bulb to grow chaeto? If that's the case I may just put xenia in there with a light and an air stone because its so small.. lol would that work?
NO.

Dont use a regular light bulb. Go to Petco and get a 10K bulb. They cost $10 and looks just like a regular light bulb.

Was just in Petco and they had balls of cheato in this display tanks. Anyone here do this? I'm thinking if you hid it behind some rocks it would be ok?

Was just in Petco and they had balls of cheato in this display tanks. Anyone here do this? I'm thinking if you hid it behind some rocks it would be ok?

I have mine in 1 of my frag tanks, sepearted by eggcrate, it still tends to get everywhere , a bit of a PITA

It is defiantly a pita if you don't have a good setup for it.I stopped using it because I didn't have a good fudge setup and it kept clogging all my pumps so be careful

So for clarification, chaeto WILL grow/export nitrates with light spectrums of 2500k, all the way up to 10000k? And if there's not a high flow, as long as I turn it over every other day or so itll still grow? What if I bought a medium sized clump, and then cut it into 2 or 3 smaller clumps so I could constantly turn them around/over every other day or so? Would that work?

You don't need to turn it every day.
I've got a 20L full of chaeto under a spirel (daylight) 65K work light.
I haven't turned it over in months and it's fine.
Keep it all together in one bunch as well.

The only thing that makes me second guess using chaeto is the last time I used it, it died in a week.. I had it in this strawberry container of some sort just floating around in my tank under my old fluorescent.. how ever it did put loads of pods in my tank.. I literally watch them fight over $hit on the rocks.. lol

I was in the same boat as you with growing chaeto when I first started. I could never get it to grow.

I don't know what the difference is but my chaeto has been growing pretty well these days. I recently switched over from CFL bulbs to a mix of red and blue LEDs to see if I can get the chaeto to grow faster.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back