chalk bass

paul.k

Non-member
i wanted to get a chalk bass it is a dwarf sea bass i think they look really cool. the only probbley i have herd about them is they will eat anney ornamental shrimp i have in they tank that is smaller than him. i have a book that had a picture of it but it didn't say how bug it gets or how aggressive it can be all it did really say is to keep it in pairs or groups.

he Chalk Bass is a beautiful Basslet with vibrant, electric-blue vertical bands along its back and head. The body of the Chalk Bass is orange, with a violet smudge along the side. This fish is an excellent choice for beginner aquarist and should thrive in even a small aquarium.

The Chalk Bass prefers to have many hiding places among the aquascape in the tank, although it is not an overly shy fish. They should be housed in small groups that have all been introduced at the same time. Fellow tankmates should also be nonaggressive. Once comfortable in their surroundings, Chalk Bass can often be seen swimming in the open areas in the aquarium.

The Chalk Bass is a carnivore and should be fed at least once a day. High quality carnivorous preparations should be fed, along with frozen, freeze-dried or live foods. They usually do not bother crabs and most shrimp, although they may harass the delicate Periclimenes species.

Minimum Tank Size: 30 gallons
Care Level: Easy
Tank Conditions: 72-78?F; sg 1.020-1.025; pH 8.1-8.4; dKH 8-12
Max. Size In Aquarium: Up to 3"
Color Form: Bright Blue, Orange, Violet
Temperament: Peaceful
Reef Compatible: Yes
Diet: Carnivore
Origin: Tropical Western Atlantic
Family: Serranidae

http://www.etropicals.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=41&pCatId=1309

does that help?

I have 3 chalk bass (I had 5, but 2 jumped a couple of weeks ago). I've never seen them go after any of my shrimp - I have a cleaner a bunch of peppermints. They are beautiful fish, but will chase each other around if they aren't a "pair". I think that's why two of mine jumped. Now the "odd" one hangs by himself. Mine are about 3" - I don't think they get much bigger than that.

so it should be good if i get 2 of teh sea bass they should be good because Skipton's told me they would eat teh shrimp but they also told me i could get a yellow tang and to cycle my tank with 2 clown fish.

so it should be good if i get 2 of teh sea bass they should be good because Skipton's told me they would eat teh shrimp but they also told me i could get a yellow tang and to cycle my tank with 2 clown fish.

They told you to cycle with 2 clown fish? Seems a bit out of character from the people I know there. Any idea who it was?

Just cycle with raw cocktail shrimp. That way you don't stress/kill any fish in the process.

i saw two of teh bass on the Doctor smith an foster web site the bass they had looked different than the picture in my book same shape just different color i like the one in teh book better teh one in teh book looked older do the change color with age.

Back