Cheap and Effective ASM G6 Mod

I'm not sure about the ASM's, but on my ER I was able to just replace the adjustable riser tube with a section of PVC. That way I can cut the tube as short as I want without permenantly altering the stock riser tube.

Edit;
And if that brace is in the way, you could put the T right at the top of the brace, then have the gate valve mounted horizontal after the T just like in Bob's pic

Last edited by a moderator:
Run it into a reverse durso. As you have it now it probably is running 98% of the time on a siphon. The vent/Durso will be after the horizontal part but none the less should stop you siphon issues. Also it will control 99% of your salt spray too.

I can do the same, however the outside tube is what is preventing a lower "horizontal run" for the gate valve mod.

Yes, I could put the T right at the top of the brace, but that won't really lower the gate valve and the horizontal section of pipe much (maybe 0.5 inches or so).

I was really surprised that the T made so much difference. :eek::confused:

I'm not sure about the ASM's, but on my ER I was able to just replace the adjustable riser tube with a section of PVC. That way I can cut the tube as short as I want without permenantly altering the stock riser tube.

Edit;
And if that brace is in the way, you could put the T right at the top of the brace, then have the gate valve mounted horizontal after the T just like in Bob's pic

Yes, I think you are correct here that the skimmer is running with a siphon most of the time. However, it seems without this siphon, the water is not exiting the skimmer fast enough and produces a minimum water level in the skimmer that is way too high (with the gate valve 100% open).

So wouldn't a vent, or reverse durso, excaserbate the situation?

I can't understand why the vent is keeping the water level too high based on the skimmer design. Originally there was not gate valve on the skimmer; just an adjustable vertical drain tube that drained at the top through a foam sleeve. The water level in the skimmer was controlled by adjusting the height of this tube. So as it was originally designed, the skimmer did not require a siphon at the output drain. Now however, with the gate valve mod, it seems that the skimmer DOES require a siphon at the drain just to allow a minimum water level that is well below the neck of the skimmer. I am not sure why replacing the adjustable riser tube with the gate valve causes this to happen. Any ideas?

Run it into a reverse durso. As you have it now it probably is running 98% of the time on a siphon. The vent/Durso will be after the horizontal part but none the less should stop you siphon issues. Also it will control 99% of your salt spray too.

Unfortunately, I can't do that since the gate valve is as low as it will go. If you look at the picture above, the gate valve sits right on the permanent integrated skimmer tube (with a brace to the skimmer riser tube)that holds an inner adjustable height drain tube. Also, I clean out the venturi air inlet weekly with a drill so I'm pretty sure it is not that.

Mike, can you post a picture of your mod?

Is your PVC any smaller in diameter than your riser tube anywhere? I was able to take off the inner and outer riser tube. My skimmer is very short and I needed to though, but as you can see, the horizontal portion on mine is about level with the top of the skimmer body. Much higher than yours and the gate valve runs about 1/2 closed. My skimmer body is 12" in diameter and has 2 sedra 5000's. Yours has 3 correct? My gate valve and PVC is all 1.5" diameter.

This is how I had it running when it weas overflowing. Gate valve is after the vent and out put was submerged.
8869100_2684.JPG

Here is how I have it now. Gate valve right off the skimmer like you do and then a 90 and finally the T with the vent. The second picture shows that I just cap the veny and have a couple holes drilled in the cap. Drastcally quiets it down.
100_3107.jpg

100_3106.jpg

Yes, I think you are correct here that the skimmer is running with a siphon most of the time. However, it seems without this siphon, the water is not exiting the skimmer fast enough and produces a minimum water level in the skimmer that is way too high (with the gate valve 100% open).

So wouldn't a vent, or reverse durso, excaserbate the situation?

I can't understand why the vent is keeping the water level too high based on the skimmer design. Originally there was not gate valve on the skimmer; just an adjustable vertical drain tube that drained at the top through a foam sleeve. The water level in the skimmer was controlled by adjusting the height of this tube. So as it was originally designed, the skimmer did not require a siphon at the output drain. Now however, with the gate valve mod, it seems that the skimmer DOES require a siphon at the drain just to allow a minimum water level that is well below the neck of the skimmer. I am not sure why replacing the adjustable riser tube with the gate valve causes this to happen. Any ideas?
Ever think of reducing the flow? How much flow do have going into the skimmer, perhaps you are overdriving it?

Gate Valve Higher or Lower?

Now I'm confused. I thought that you said to lower the horizontal pipe section including the gate valve? Looking at your pictures, I can see that the
gate valve is MUCH HIGHER than mine. Did you mean raise the gate valve or lower it?

Raising it would be simple. Since the inside tube's outer diameter is the same as a 1.5" PVC pipe I could just add a slip union and a section of PVC to raise the gate valve. But lowering it is not possible.

Flow

I haven't done the "Recirc" mod yet so the flow is determined by the 3 internal Sedras in the sump feeding the skimmer.

Ever think of reducing the flow? How much flow do have going into the skimmer, perhaps you are overdriving it?

Last edited:
Now I'm confused. I thought that you said to lower the horizontal pipe section including the gate valve? Looking at your pictures, I can see that the
gate valve is MUCH HIGHER than mine. Did you mean raise the gate valve or lower it?

Raising it would be simple. Since the inside tube's outer diameter is the same as a 1.5" PVC pipe I could just add a slip union and a section of PVC to raise the gate valve. But lowering it is not possible.

That is why I asked all of the questions about your pumps and plumbing after looking at your pic. The height of the horizontal run with the gate valve open should determine the minimum water level in the skimmer. Something odd is going on with your water level so high and the gate valve so low. As Delta asked, are your pumps mesh modded? Couls effect the amount of water/air mixture and you have too many pumps for the skimmer now as he mentioned.

Back