Cheap Way to Increase Magnesium

wrassefan

Intentionally Left Blank
BRS Member
Is bulk reef supply the only game in town for this? I'm finally coming to the end of my bag of "dead sea" magnesium chloride (yes...Greg Hiller's orig group buy way back in the day ::) and was looking for another source. I know I can use epsom salt short term but was wondering what everyone else does.

I wonder if Ocean State Job Lot have the Magnesium Chloride bags since winter is coming up. I know they usually have Dow Flake.

Epsom Salt is what I use.
Peter...I know that epsom salt is magnesium sulfate...I know the concern is over time, the sulfate might build up.
That was a discussion I had with Randy Holmes-Farley. That's why his 2 part has both mag chloride and sulfate.

I wonder if Ocean State Job Lot have the Magnesium Chloride bags since winter is coming up. I know they usually have Dow Flake.

really? I haven't seen the dowflake in yrs...I still have a bag of the pellets which some folks are hesitant to use...but I've been okay with it.

The Preston driveway clear way stuff can work. But like stated before magnesium should really be mixed in 2 parts. I think the conversion is 2/3 magnesium chloride and 1/3 magnesium sulfate. That proportion could be wrong, I keep it written down in my stand. I use the bulk reef supply 2 part magnesium supplement.

It's that time of year again. You just need to hunt around but I always see magflake or magpellets somewhere every winter. (dowflake is for DIY Ca supplement)

I just use the BRS stuff. If you use the site for what its for, buying in bulk, you do save a bit over the long term, but your initial investment is higher.

Is bulk reef supply the only game in town for this? I'm finally coming to the end of my bag of "dead sea" magnesium chloride (yes...Greg Hiller's orig group buy way back in the day ::) and was looking for another source. I know I can use epsom salt short term but was wondering what everyone else does.

Sent me a PM.

Last edited:
Cheapest way is I go into my stash of Dead sea works mag chloride and pull out a bucket and make another bottle of Mg supplement. I thought I bought enough for 10 years, but I think I mis calculated 10 maybe 20 years.

Last edited:
The Preston driveway clear way stuff can work. But like stated before magnesium should really be mixed in 2 parts. I think the conversion is 2/3 magnesium chloride and 1/3 magnesium sulfate. That proportion could be wrong, I keep it written down in my stand. I use the bulk reef supply 2 part magnesium supplement.

Wow I just re read this. I'm 100% wrong lol. The Preston driveway stuff is for calcium only not magnesium. So I didn't really answer your question. Sorry!

The Agway in Waltham carries MagFlake year round. It is used to keep dust down in the horse training rings.

JD

Back