Chem Help Please

sledge75

Non-member
I have mixed up Oceanic solution (in RO/DI) and have achieved a salinity of 1.025 using a refractometer. I tested the pH using a pH probe and I'm reading 7.6. I recalibrated the probe to double check and still get the same reading. I also tested the KH with a Salifert test kit and I get a reading of 5.4 dkH. What is wrong here? I thought that the mix should yield a proper salinity, pH, and KH. Was I wrong? Suggestions would be much appreciated.

this is why i use NSW same thing happens to me whenever i make water from a salt mix be nice to see what the answer is

Is there a salt mix that will give the correct parameters? Will tropic marin give better results than, say, Instant Ocean?

Every salt mix could be the same, and we'd still get different ph ratings. The ph of the water coming out of your tap could be part of the problem. Bump up the alkalinity of the water with some 2 part additive, and your ph will increase. Use washing soda.

Don't fret. Your readings could be a little off, as much as 20% on some kits. And when you do a water change, the tank water will dilute any negative effects from the Oceanic salt. The goos news is that with low alkalinity, the pH will swing into the proper range with ease.

Keep an eye on the tank parameters before, during, and after a water change. If your tank water has low pH and low Alk after a number of water changes, then you can get worried. Maybe others who have used Oceanic (longterm) can comment.

since we are on the topic,where can I get natural sea water around here, does anyone one know a good sorce?
any address we can drive to ,to scoop up a 55 gallon drum worth of it?

Well, the tank is newly set up and has no live rock yet. I am using a calibrated PH probe and a Salifert test kit for Alk and Ca.

These are the readings after running the pumps heaters etc for a week. Since there is nothing in the tank I don't think water changes are the answer. I did add some part 1 Alk last night. After adding my pH went from 7.68 up to 8.1 but as of this morning its back down to 7.95. Remember there is nothing in the tank but water and Southdown.

I did not have a chance to check the Alk this morning but I will when I get home. Hopefully I'll be able to stabilize the Alk and pH a bit higher. I would like to get things nice and stable where I want them before adding any LR.

Is it normal for the pH to rise quite a bit and them drop back down some after adding part 1?

It is difficult to answer your question properly without knowing more. If you mixed the salt water up in a separate container and then you got your readings I would be incline to believe that the salinity meter was off, or your salt was not so good.

IMO, BTW, in the long run there is nothing wrong with using artifical salt water. I've had pretty good success for 8 years now with Instant Ocean.

I'm guessing however that you mixed up the water either outside of the tank or inside of the tank and are now getting your readings directly from the water in the tank. It sounds like your tank has a lot of new, clean, nearly sterile sand in it. It is well known that the very clean surfaces of fresh calcium carbonate sand can pull calcium and alkalinity out of the water as it precipitates on the surface of the sand, in some cases cementing the sand together into a giant slab.

>Is it normal for the pH to rise quite a bit and them drop back down some after adding part 1?<

If the alkalinity of your tank is low (and it is) it is not surprising that the pH would swing a lot.

If I were you I'd get a bunch of sand (at least a few cupfuls) from a local reefer's well established tank and spead it over the surface of your sand bed to kind of get things 'started'. Then start adding some life, be it live rock, or some hearty coral like mushrooms or something. I would not try to boost the alkalinity too much while your tank is quite so sterile, as you might end up with a solid slab of sand. Adding natural seawater would also add some 'life' to your tank for the short term.

Back