Chevron Tang Question

charged45

Non-member
Hello,
My Tang looks as through he is developing Lateral Line disease. My water parameters are all good w/the exception of Nitrates which is at around 20ppm. He is eating great and shows no signs of stress. He is fed Nori every other day, Prime Reef Flake and Frozen Spirolina. I do use Selcon 1-2 times a week. This same thing happened to my Blue tang although he lived for about 5 years. Not sure what I can or should do. Any advice would be appreciated.

Do you use a lot of carbon? Do you feed vitamins at all? When I hear HLLE I think nutrition. I have a purple that got it bad but between nori, selcon, Zoe and Larry's reef frenzy he is about 90% healed.

I use carbon in a BRS dual reactor. I use their high end Carbon. What is Zoe? How often do you feed? Nori? I thought it may be a nutrition issue as well but I think He is fed a good variety.

I feed nori daily. Zoe is a vitamin soak. I feed Larrys food 1 day and then NLS pellets the next so they are getting fed every day. I don't consider spirilina good nutrition though......if you're feeding flakes and only spirilina I would change that to at least mysis. Flakes are probably contributing to your nitrates. Just my experience though.....NLS pellets are the best "non real food" and then larry's reef frenzy is a great mixture of fresh food.

Hi,
A number of things could be contributing to the HLLE, like stray voltage, water condition, tank size, stress from tank mates, and the use of activated carbon. However, I completely agree with PSU4ME when going straight to nutrition.
I recently went through a bad case of HLLE with my Blue Hippo Tang (see posting "Funky Tang"). It was really bad, so I started with 10 days in Crypto-Pro quarantine (but maybe you can skip this if it isn't too bad). I tried a combination of many different food types and vitamin soaks, but I eventually found a combo that was successful for me and my fish. Mysis shrimp and formula one flakes soaked in Zoe and Zoecon (both my Kent). My Tang doesn't eat Nori or any type of vegetation, so maybe you will have an easier time healing your fish. Good luck :)

Hi,
A number of things could be contributing to the HLLE, like stray voltage, water condition, tank size, stress from tank mates, and the use of activated carbon. However, I completely agree with PSU4ME when going straight to nutrition.
I recently went through a bad case of HLLE with my Blue Hippo Tang (see posting "Funky Tang"). It was really bad, so I started with 10 days in Crypto-Pro quarantine (but maybe you can skip this if it isn't too bad). I tried a combination of many different food types and vitamin soaks, but I eventually found a combo that was successful for me and my fish. Mysis shrimp and formula one flakes soaked in Zoe and Zoecon (both my Kent). My Tang doesn't eat Nori or any type of vegetation, so maybe you will have an easier time healing your fish. Good luck :)

Nutrition is what I found to be the biggest cause for HLLE. I also had a purple start to show signs of lateral line erosion and every time I feed frozen which is every other day and includes mysis, cyclopeeze, formula 2 I soak it in garlic, selcon, and vita chem. the lateral line erosion almost 100% reversed on my purple since that was the only thing I changed. On the Opposite Day of feeding i feed seaweed and spectrum pellets. Nitrates, unless they are above 30-40ppm, don't effect much. I do have a grounding probe in my tank also and I believe stray voltage does effect HLLE almost as much as diet. With all do respect to the others, I have never really bought in on the carbon causes HLLE. Just my opinion.

NLS Pellets? Can I get those at a local Fish Store? I use selcon -2 x's a week. I make up a mixure of haddock, Shrimp, Scallops, Cut Nori add Selcon put it through the processor and freeze it. That OK or should I use Larry's? Thanks for the Flake comment. I never knew them as a source of Nitrates.

There is a study out there about carbon use ( a lot of use) can contribute to HLLE however I doubt it is the problem here. As RR said, many things can contribute to it but I'd start on nutrition........I have a hunch that will get him sorted out.

NLS Pellets? Can I get those at a local Fish Store? I use selcon -2 x's a week. I make up a mixure of haddock, Shrimp, Scallops, Cut Nori add Selcon put it through the processor and freeze it. That OK or should I use Larry's? Thanks for the Flake comment. I never knew them as a source of Nitrates.

NLS pellets are new life spectrum pellets.....readily available from most stores. Your mixture doesn't seem bad, no need for Larry's unless you want it.

Flakes are only good for Betas IMO :)

I have other fish that show no signs of stress. I will invest in a grounding probe as it can't hurt. I'm somewhat confused on the vitamins. Aren't they all the same? I do use garlic extract 2 times a week.

He is not as crazy about my mixture as my other fish. I also feed the Mysis w/Algae. That was what I called spirolina. I'll pick up some NLS tomorrow. So I'm clear, you recommend changing my foods to NLS, Larry's on alternating days and nori everyday? How often should I soak them in vitamins? Selcon OK? What brand of Nori do you use? Sorry for all the questions.

Back