Chiller is not working properly ...

Mrs Fish

obsessed!
I have a sea line 300a chiller, 1/4 hp. Noticed yesterday that it seems to be misjudging the temperature. It goes up to 81, which triggers the termostat, the unit comes on ... but it goes down to 77 in about 2 minutes and switches itself off. Then of course, the temperature rises and it switches itself back on in about the same amount of time.

Any ideas?:confused:

I've temporarily switched it off. The unit does not feel hot like it is overheating, nor is it making an unusual noise. Pump is working find and water is coming out the outlet pipe as usual.

Sue

Sue,

It's just a guess as I don't have one but could it be dust that has built up on the coils or is there an intake filter like AC that needs cleaning.If the unit is clean then my next guess would be the thermostat.I'm hardly an expert on this stuff,I work on machinery but not an HVAC guy.:eek:
Just noticed your post and thought I might give you a few ideas.
Good luck...

I have the 1/8 hp Sea Line Chiller. Mine did the same thing and also started reading completely different temps than my controller. I assume this is your problem also since I'm sure your tank is not actually dropping 4 degrees in a matter of minutes. Do you have a thermometer or controller to compare to?

I called the 1-800 number and they said there were problems with the temp probe on some they shipped around the time I bought mine and you'll need to replace it. Very easy to do, but you'll need to unhook the inlet and outlet to take the cover off and take the temp probe out. Then you just attach a couple wires and you're back in business.

Hopefully that's your issue. You may want to turn your chiller off because once mine started to read wrong it really went crazy and you don't want to toast or freeze your tank. On a positive note, since I've replaced the temp probe it's worked flawlessly.

Last edited:
Back