Clam Requirements

Frag Freaks

BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
Ok so I have always thought clams are pretty cool looking. Now that I have my new T5 setup of 6x39 with the individual reflectors is it possible to keep some sort of clam?

If I can I would like to place it on the sand if possible in a 20" deep tank.

Also if it is possibleto keep one, which are the easiest beginner clams to start with.

Thanks,
Robby

Ok so I have always thought clams are pretty cool looking. Now that I have my new T5 setup of 6x39 with the individual reflectors is it possible to keep some sort of clam?

If I can I would like to place it on the sand if possible in a 20" deep tank.

Also if it is possibleto keep one, which are the easiest beginner clams to start with.

Thanks,
Robby

Depends on what kind of clam. t.Squamosa and t.Deresa maybe, just maybe. The others probably not enough light. Plus anything under 4" needs target feeding a couple times a week.

i would go with a deresa and place it midway in your tank also try supplementing with cyclopeeze that stuff works great

just remember the more color the more light you need

i have maximas and croceas on my sand bed under a tx5 with 3 over driven bulbs. I say yes and know many others that would say yes also.

i have maximas and croceas on my sand bed under a tx5 with 3 over driven bulbs. I say yes and know many others that would say yes also.

So if i could get away with either a maxima or a crocea in the sand and the larger one I get the easier the care is.

Even if it is about 4" should i still target feed?

How tall is your tank? I have a maxima on the sandbed of my tank which is 20" deep (probably about 17-18" of actual water penetration to the clam's mantle though) and I'm running 6x24W T5 HO.

You don't need to feed it when it is larger than 3". There are a lot of people these days that say you don't need to feed even the small ones, but I don't know how much I agree with that.

How tall is your tank? I have a maxima on the sandbed of my tank which is 20" deep (probably about 17-18" of actual water penetration to the clam's mantle though) and I'm running 6x24W T5 HO.

You don't need to feed it when it is larger than 3". There are a lot of people these days that say you don't need to feed even the small ones, but I don't know how much I agree with that.

Its a 20" deep tank with a 3" sand bed (which roughly would put the clam roughly the same distance from the surface of the water as yours) and the lights are 5-6" from the surface.

Back