Requirements for a Clam

Deafasa

BRS Member
Seeing as there seems to be a bunch of clams on the Market, I figured I would ask what are the requirements for keeping a clam. I think I am probably a bit low in the light department, but if you don't ask you never know.

I currently have a 55 Gallon (the 4 foot long x 1 foot wide one) with 2 95 watt 6500 PC bulbs and 1 20000 110 watt VHO bulb for lighting. The sand bed is roughly 2 inches. A little deeper in spots, a little shallower in others.

I'm not looking to upgrade my lighting, so if the answer is not enough light, so be it. No clam for Jeff.

Thanks for your opinions.

Consider a T. derasa. It's light requirements are not as high as the others. Mine is doing nicely in a 29 under 2x55 W PC's. 3/8" of shell growth in 2 months!

And if they don't thrive in your tank, they are still tasty!

yeah. i agree with dima and dave. also, sometimes you can't tell how well a clam is doing. it will do great for a few months, then just die out of nowhere. or so i've heard at the clam forum.

I will let you know how it's doing in a couple of more months. But I researched it a bit on RC before adding my clam, and my conclusion at that time was that T. derasa could do OK with my lighting.

I have seen people on RDO and RC report good results over a longish period using PCs. Like everything in this hpbby, whenever one says it cannot be done, there are people doing it.
That said, I'd go MH with a clam.

Lighting and water quality are key for clams but also finding a healthy clam as well. I tried two diff clams last year at two diff times and still they died after a few weeks. My ca+alk were fine plus I use MH. I chalked it up to bad specimens.
Third time was the charm though and I have had my current crocea for 6 months now and its on its 3rd new growth ring.

just my .02

Thanks everyone. For the time being the answer will be no clam for Jeff. On the brightside it will leave a few more clams in my wallet. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)
Shearwater, please keep us updated in a couple of months on how your clam is doing.

I agree.

My sentiments are that while it is technically possible to keep clams alive under sub-MH lighting (VHO and PC) levels, if you're heart is really looking to do clams, you should upgrade to MH lighting. Clams will always be around, and if you upgrade to MH lighting, then is the time to go for it,

Matt:cool:

Back