Closed loop UV failed?

charbel1011

BRS Member
I installed a closed loop UV for my 200G waterbox system. And I didn’t keep in mind the vectra s2 bottleneck with its 3/4 input. I can run 570 GPH on a full pump speed. My UV is the aquaclear 57W. I did a lot of PVC work, before i take it down, would the 570 GPH be useful for anything? I wanted it for algae. But this UV seems like I need to be pushing over 1000 GPH for it to be effective.

UV is generally more effective at a slower flow rate, or are you more worried about not processing enough volume?

UV is generally more effective at a slower flow rate, or are you more worried about not processing enough volume?

To be honest i am new to UV. An old reefer 50 years + of experience gave me an advice for some reason made sense to me to create a closed loop for my UV like i have the vectra s2 pump sitting outside the tank pulling water from the display tank, and back to the tank. Theres 2 check valves on each line, and a flow meter installed. I didnt realize the 3/4 on the intake of the vectra was going to be a bottleneck. Now i dont mind 400 gph or 500 as long as it works against algae the way i want it to work.

Closed loop seems pretty ideal for killing targets in the display like dinoflagellates or ich. And slower flow will kill more effectively. But which algae are you trying to target? Most will just grow on surfaces and not be greatly affected by UV.

Those check valves aren’t helping the flow rate.

Funny thing about UV and reef tanks, it’s recommended for three major things; algae, parasites and water clarity.
-algae, great but we rarely see the free floating algae that UV is effective against in the first place.
-parasites, only partially effective, and useless at flow rates recommend for algae.
-water clarity, yup works.

Not a bad thing to have as an option, but also not necessary and often recommended for foggy reasoning. If running it, flow rate is determined by the power of the unit, AND what you hope to accomplish.

Good luck wherever you land on this.

Oh yea, and dinos. If you have the right (wrong) kind of dinos then UV can be vital for fighting it (or so I read).

Dinos for sure. I’ve battled Ostreopsis and UV was critical in beating them back into submission

Oh yea, and dinos. If you have the right (wrong) kind of dinos then UV can be vital for fighting it (or so I read).
The issue idk what gph is rigjt for my unit and i dont know if 500 gph enough. But thank you for the info

Flow chart in this thread;

I see what you mean, looks like that is a beast meant to handle big flow for a big tank. Huh?

Flow chart in this thread;

I see what you mean, looks like that is a beast meant to handle big flow for a big tank. Huh?
Yea but does that means i can run low flow on it for smaller tank?

You'd certainly get a high kill rate. Sorry, wish I could offer more informed assistance,

Back