closed loop or not?

• Closed loop

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • No closed loop

Votes: 6 66.7%

• Total voters

Turbosnail

Non-member
I am in the process of starting a 125g build. I have been drilling holes for a Bean overflow and I want others opinions on weather I should do a closed loop or not since I am drilling the tank anyway. Feel free to post your thoughts.

For me it really came down to power consumption and it was why they went out of style so to speak. But they are clean looking and work well, especially if you use a ocean motion.

I didn't go with one as I couldn't get the power consumption even close to what my Tunze use never more than 40w, usually 20-30w depending on the program I am running. Trade of is pumps in tank(looks) and lost real estate for efficiency.

I agree with Greg... Just not as good with all the very low wattage powerheads out there that push a lot of water...

I always wanted to set up a closed loop, just for the fun of it. However, I agree, as far as power consumption goes, they are for the birds. Depends what you pay for electricity though I guess, and how much the super clean look is worth to you :)

I had tunzes in my 125 and hated the look. When I set up my 140, I went the closed loop route with an ReefFlo Dart on an Oceans Motions 4way. I get good random flow but the pump does hog electricity. I am still glad I have the closed loop.

Depends on what is more important to you, electrical usage or having no pumps in the tank. You can get good random flow either way if set up properly. Set up costs were similar for both for me.

Last edited:
closed loops are run by an external pump, fed through drilled holes in various spots of the tank (wherever you want) and returned to holes drilled in various spots as well... basically, it jus pulls water from one spot and return it in another... some have one pull, and two returns... some have 3 or 4 pulls with many more returns... it jus helps to distrubute flow and whatnot around your tank in a different manner than powerheads or internal display pumps...

Hmmm..that sounds like something I would like to look into in the future.is it more difficult to setup a sump system that way?

really all depends on how your system is setup and what you have for room to work with, and accesibitlity, imo...

So basically its just used so you don't have powerheads in your tank? If that whole idea? Sorry... I think I get it now.

Yes, that is the idea. It is a loop of plumming with an external pump. Same concept as a recirculating skimmer or a Calc reactor.

I voted NO as well. Prop pumps provide better flow IMHO.

Closed loops can be tough to perform maintenance over time. They get neglected.

Back