Clown and Duncan Coral

Overlook reef

Non-member
Hi

I came home today to find my Duncan coral closed up. After watching for a while I noticed my large Clown appears to be picking/biting the Duncan. Has anyone ever had this happen before? Could she be trying to host it?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

i've had a clown that would host a small duncan, maybe 3-5 heads but i never noticed him nipping at it, maybe just give it some time and keep an eye on the duncan and make sure that its not receiving any damage from the clown.
if it is getting damaged maybe you could try moving the duncan to a new location in the tank and see if the clown leaves it alone

my 7 yr. old maroon loves to flop around in a duncan in my tank , no problem .

Normal, my maroons harass the Duncan's all the time when they get bored with the nem.
Duncan's will get used to it and stay open when they get used to the clowns.

I joined Boston Reefers so I could ask the same question as the OP. My maroon clown has bitten a chunk off of my Duncan. The Duncan had been closed up for 5 days. I was not certain why, as my maroon usually will swim out of her anemone into the Duncan, with no problems. I noticed today (Duncan still closed up) the clown went back to nip off more from the original bite she took. I relocated the Duncan.

Back