Clown Spawning experience w/ pics

Muscles

Non-member
My Black Perc has been extremely fat for 3 weeks now and seemed like it was constipated. To my absolute surprise the pair have an egg layer. I have had her for 6 years with my Ocellaris. I have had the Ocellaris for 11+ years. He is an old man that has been through 6 different tanks. He was bitten inhalf by a snowflake eel his first year and lives to this day. You can see he is missing his behind in Pic 5. I can't believe this is the first time this happens since the 2 have been together. I added an RBTA a few weeks ago. Neither have paid any attention to it but maybe it's presence has given them some sort of comfort. Anyone know if there is a chance of survival? Any advice or comments are welcome as this is a first time for me in the hobby. Novice pics I know but it's a first for me as well.

Attachments

• pick 1.JPG
    pick 1.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 192
  • pick 2.JPG
    pick 2.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 186
  • pick 4.JPG
    pick 4.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 192
  • pick 5.JPG
    pick 5.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 192
  • pick 6.JPG
    pick 6.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 184
OMG you were not kidding she is only half of a clown. that is very cool to see she has lived so long. and congrats on the eggs

I'm so proud

Congrats! That's the RBTA you got from me, right?

Yes it is. The RBTA is doing great. It finally found a place it liked and stopped traveling. It's interesting to think it's presence might have contributed to the clowns' inspiration.

Clown passing on x-mass.
Sad day for a mother. I had a feeling she was going to pass. Is it possible that she knew she was going to pass and decided to spawn? She laid 3 patches of eggs then she passed. She is the first fish I have lost since I got her 5+yrs ago. Too bad. Stinks to lose her now since it seemed she was in her prime. Bad x-mass present for the kids. My daughter said "we should take her out......but don't worry the crabs will take care of her."
I think I am taking this harder than she is.

Last edited:
That's so sad. I think I saw this somewhere the dad raise the babies and one of it was called NEMO. :)

That's too bad. Sorry to hear. It's pretty odd you had them that long and they just spawned. Was it really three times that they spawned this month? that's a lot.

Back