Clown trying to host Zoas

Overlook reef

Non-member
Hi

One of my clowns is trying to host a rock with Zoas.

He appears to be getting stung a lot. (black marks all over)

Is there anything I could/should do?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I am pretty certain.

He has black spots everywhere he has touched the Zoas.

Mostly on his belly from lying on top of them.

Clowns are immune to the zoa stinging affects, I would think it is from the rocks.. I'm certian it's not from the zoas

If it happens that the black spots are from stings (have seen it before), then let it run its course. They will be fine in no time. FWIW, my percs host a slew of softies including rhodactis, GSP and zoas sincethey are all together.

are you sure the black spots are injury like is there skin missing? Clown designs usually change with age my mocha clowns have a bunch of black splotches on their belley that were not there when I got them.

-Owen

If his clown never hosted anything, it could be fighting the effects of a sting. When my tomato first started hosting a RBTA, she looked raggedy for a bit.

are you sure the black spots are injury like is there skin missing? Clown designs usually change with age my mocha clowns have a bunch of black splotches on their belley that were not there when I got them.

-Owen

Yes
I am sure.
Some corals have stronger stinging cells than some nems. Sometimes the stinging cells will penetrate the extra thick mucus of a clown. My question, and it sounds like I have some answers, is will they adjust to one another before my clown takes too many hits.

IMO if the fish are healthy they will be able to adapt to this just like they would if they were living in the ocean.
Figure a kid gets burned he not touching that stove again.
Should be all good just monitor the injuries.
Good Luck!

Yea, for a healthy clown, the injuries are minor. They will get used to it if that is where they want to live. I have 4 anemones and my clowns could care less. They love the softies. They used to live in an SPS coral before.

Back