Clownfish moving new anemone!

jdeb101

Non-member
Yesterday I picked up an anemone and placed it on rock where it appeared to be spreading out and getting comfortable. I wake up this morning with it gone! Turns out my clown didn't like its placement so much and dragged it behind rocks where he usually sleeps! Any tips on how to get my clown to leave it be or should I just let it work itself out?

Besides being in a crappy place for viewing, I fear the anemone won't get sufficient light if it stays there.
IMG_3211.JPG

I think the nem walked around to find a more comfortable spot. Any time I get a new one, they tend to do that for a few days before they find a spot to settle. You'll be lucky if you like where they pick, it doesn't always happen.

mine have always moved around quite a bit too...EXCEPT for the one I got off frank180reef 2 months ago. I put it in the top dead center of my tank so it'd have nice access to the full power of my light and it has stayed put for the entire time! maybe it doesn't know it can walk? :D

Thanks all, I'm well aware that they move on their own, but this was actually my clownfish moving the anemone! lol he moved it to the bottom of tank in a somewhat shaded area which is more concern. I may leave it for a day or two as I don't want to cause further stress on it. Just not sure how I'm going to prevent clown from continuing to drag it to his happy place. Lol

i need video of this...lol.

i've tried moving a nem before and they picked up the rock they were attached to that must have weighed 5 pounds!

i need video of this...lol.

i've tried moving a nem before and they picked up the rock they were attached to that must have weighed 5 pounds!

I don't have video of it, seems like my clown is happy where it is and is no longer moving it. I on the other hand am not! :mad:

So what do you all think... should I just leave it be for now or take some action to try getting it onto the rocks and under better lighting and flow?
IMG_3215.JPG
IMG_3216.JPG

If it’s not getting enough light it should move again once it gets fully acclimated to your tank. I’d leave it alone for a week or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So it's been a week and anemone is still in same location! :mad: How can I get him to move onto my LR? As you can see in the pic, he has a ways to go moving upward and left if it shall take it upon itself to do so. I'm wondering if I move the LR more to the right and shadow it a bit more that it will begin moving? Hate to reaquascape but it's just in a bad location.

My nem went where it wanted, used a powerhead blowing on it to coax it where I hoped it would take up residence.. it kind of worked. The nem did respond to the ph

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Like a fish, it is going to go where it wants. If you move it, it will likely move back. You are just going to stress it.

Mine stayed put for the first 5 days until I changed the flow a bit. Then it walked around for a week or so and settled right in the back center of the tank. It sways back and forth from the WaveMakers.

You can't really control it.

Thanks all. I suppose I will probably just leave it be for now. Up until yesterday my only flow in the tank was return so maybe the change in overall tank flow will provoke it to move.

I do have concern it is receiving enough light where it is though, as it isn't in a very well lit spot and I'm only running my Kessil at 50% intensity.

Put a piece of plastic or cardboard over the light to shadow it but leave a little bit in the light where you want it to move. It’ll follow the light

Starting to be a little concerned now. Anemone in same spot, but past few days my tanks been starting to smell really bad. Did ~50% wc yesterday and still smells a little. The anemone also has never opened to its fullest. Here's a pic of it this morning with lights off. It also almost looks like top part of its base is deteriating? I wonder if my clown is stressing it?

IMG_3238.JPG
IMG_3240.JPG

Clown looks a bit big for that nem. Not sure man but keep an eye on it. Another thing you can try for the smell is running some carbon.

You could move the nem and occupy the space with rocks or rescape , your clown will find a new happy place

Here's some pic I just took. I'm leaning at the clown is too big and stressing it out. You can see top tentacles are retracted and or missing? The anemone still hasn't fully opened since introduced and it's been almost 2 weeks. The smell also leads me to believe maybe the anemone is stressed/dying? I did check params last night and all is normal.
IMG_3248.JPG
IMG_3250.JPG

Back