Clowns getting harrased!!

niakon22

Reefer
so I have to ocellaris clowns. 1 cardinal, 1 yellow tail damsel both are smaller then the clowns. the clowns are about 1.5-2 inches. and i have have a green spotted puffer.

I am tryign to see how is picking at the clowns. I beelive before i put the damsel and cardinal it they were in with the puffer and i saw one day that one of the fins or tail of the clowns was bitten. so what i did was put the 2.4 inch puffer in a seperate tank till the clowns heal.. any idea who could be harrasing these clowns.

ive had my yt damsel the longest and it always gets bullied by my occi pair. maybe mine is just a wimp lol

So im looking in my tank.. I see the clowns picking each other. Maybe they are fighting.. and tryign to kill each other

FWIW, my female beat up on my male before they finally reconiled ;)

If it has already turned, it could just be showing its dominance over the other.

Yellowtail damsels are typically on the docile side.

If it were a domino or a 3 stripe maybe..

I'd vote the puffer, they have giant teeth..

uhh interesting,
I have one 1.5" blue damsel (with the black dot on the tail) in the tank along with two clown fishes (2.5" one black and one orange) and a medium size yellow tang in my 75g. My black clown fish always chases after the damsel if it is in the way or when come time for food. The damsel do not have a chance . I feel bad for my damsel but I have had him since I started this hobby last year.

Yeah first thing that comes to mind is the clowns are the one's picking on the clowns. They aren't trying to kill each other. I like to call it, "agreeing on the terms of their domestic arrangement." Whoever is the better bully will become the lady. Hehe.

On the off chance that it is someone else picking on them, just wait until they grow up a bit and start laying eggs. The shoe will be on the other foot.

I hear that, Jocko. Mine have been in love, inseparable 24x7 for 5months.. until this week. I'm laughing because it's just like they've had a spat- one is in one corner, the other on the opposite side of the tank. We totally love the fact that they're both boys now and one tuffy will end up the chick... Ahhh, like watching OZ or Hard Time. I'm going to watch out for being shanked when I clean the tank tonight.

Dump the damsel

so I have to ocellaris clowns. 1 cardinal, 1 yellow tail damsel both are smaller then the clowns. the clowns are about 1.5-2 inches. and i have have a green spotted puffer.

I am tryign to see how is picking at the clowns. I beelive before i put the damsel and cardinal it they were in with the puffer and i saw one day that one of the fins or tail of the clowns was bitten. so what i did was put the 2.4 inch puffer in a seperate tank till the clowns heal.. any idea who could be harrasing these clowns.

I would dump the damsel. As damsels get larger they tend to harass most anything and they are difficult to catch. These damsels will pick on any fish who are not aggressive. They are good beginning fish to cycle the tank, but once the tank is up and running, it is good to pass them along to someone just setting up.

Tom
oceanguy

So i keep on seeing the clowns nip at each otehr and its looking preetty bad so i seprerated them. one is in the tank and the other is a breeder. till i see a diffrence in there fins.. what do yall think

Clowns will fight sometimes its a lovers spat. I have had mine for 3-4 years and there will be a week or so that they chase each other around and fight. They always seem to make up in the end. I am no clown fish pro but I don't know if separating them is the best idea because when you put the other one back they may just start fighting again to show dominance.

Definitely don't separate them. That's what they are supposed to do. It's how they determine gender. They will settle down eventually. Don't worry. One thing to maybe watch for is jumping. I've had issues with that in the past when they are in their fighting stage.

Regarding the yellow tail damsel. I have one and he is the single most friendly and peaceful fish in my tank. He is also the one and only fish that my two clowns will let near their anemone. Go figure.

Back