Clowns hosting anemone

Nickt

Non-member
Hey guys u have had my anemone for about a month. My clowns hang out above it but won't go in. It's just a bubble anemone. I'm thinking of putting them in my refugium to introduce them. Any one else have input on this good or bad idea? And maybe some other tricks?

Just let em be , they will find each other eventually , sometimes they just don't go in at all but I bet they will .

I have had a pair of clowns for about 3 years. 2 and a half years ago I introduced a rose bubble tip. The clowns showed no interest until last week. The female hardly leaves the anemone other than when I feed the tank.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428021343.398557.jpg

Simple solution, this process takes no more than 15 min... get a small bucket put the anemone and the clownfish in. Make sure you corner them together with no space so the fish have no place to go beside getting close to the anemone. The clownfish will slowly settle to the anemone get stung during the process. In about 10-15 min you will see the fish moves all over the anemone. Black spot is on the fish from the anemone sting if the the fish is tank raise , wild caught there are no spot on them. After that put them in your main tank, the fish will dive right in once you release them.

The first time mine went in is when I fed the nem a half a silverside. The clown wanted some for its own. Never came out.

Simple solution, this process takes no more than 15 min... get a small bucket put the anemone and the clownfish in. Make sure you corner them together with no space so the fish have no place to go beside getting close to the anemone. The clownfish will slowly settle to the anemone get stung during the process. In about 10-15 min you will see the fish moves all over the anemone. Black spot is on the fish from the anemone sting if the the fish is tank raise , wild caught there are no spot on them. After that put them in your main tank, the fish will dive right in once you release them.

Why suggest this? It will happen when it happens, if it happens at all. Why force the issue and potentially force the fish to get stung?

I've had clownfish in the past the never went near a nem, others took to them immediately, and still others took months to host.

I had a pair once where one clown started hosting and the other wanted nothing to do with it. Over a period of weeks the hosting clown kept darting to the other clown and back to the nem, kinda like it was saying "come on in!". After 2-3 weeks both clowns were hosting.

Just let them host at their own speed.

Why suggest this? It will happen when it happens, if it happens at all. Why force the issue and potentially force the fish to get stung?

I've had clownfish in the past the never went near a nem, others took to them immediately, and still others took months to host.

I had a pair once where one clown started hosting and the other wanted nothing to do with it. Over a period of weeks the hosting clown kept darting to the other clown and back to the nem, kinda like it was saying "come on in!". After 2-3 weeks both clowns were hosting.

Just let them host at their own speed.

Couldn't of said it better.
Nature will take it course.

I am not saying go and abuse the little fish. Some people doesn't like to wait for the process to happen. It's one of the way to get the fish to host the anemone faster than normal. It's a method for people to use the decision is up to them if they decide to go that route.

Some people doesn't like to wait for the process to happen.

Those are the type of people that should re-think their involvement in the hobby.

Any one researching saltwater reefing for even a short period of time should get the message that "nothing happens fast" in this hobby.

I have two bubble tips and one toadstool in my tank. I have never seen the clownfish anywhere near the bubbletips, but they are always playing in the toadstool. I've also seen them play in the xenia and frogspawn. I'm guessing they don't really want to go through the stinging process unless there is nothing else available. :)

Those are the type of people that should re-think their involvement in the hobby.

Any one researching saltwater reefing for even a short period of time should get the message that "nothing happens fast" in this hobby.

I wouldn't say "nothing" happens fast...disasters seem to happen pretty quick in my experience :)

I totally agree that forcing a clown to host is borderline animal abuse...that's just cruel.

Here, hold these jumper cables for a second, would ya?

I have a pair of clowns and an anemone and the clowns host two different polyp colonies, maybe someday they will switch, but i agree dont rush it, you should never try to force anything, i wouldnt play fetch with my dog with a bees nest

Back