CO2 tank questions.

Reefried

In need of Reefhab
BRS Member
I am setting up a calcium reactor. Curious where you guys are filling your CO2 tanks? I want to buy a nice tank so I don’t want to exchange it. Is there anywhere that just fills them?

Air gas is where I do mine but it is tank exchange but I do get nice tanks from them.

I bought a nice one from a grow store that did offer exchanges on nicer tanks but they've not closed. I may just buy a few 20lb ones to have on hand

I go to a local airsoft/paintball store to fill mine up. It's relatively cheap for how long the tank last.

I use airgas, because they only sell food grade CO2. Food grade CO2 is very important, as non food grade contains harmful chemicals like benzene. Despite Airgas is more expensive, you are guarantee to get a full tank of CO2. Simply weigh the empty tank vs the filled tank.

I use airgas, because they only sell food grade CO2. Food grade CO2 is very important, as non food grade contains harmful chemicals like benzene. Despite Airgas is more expensive, you are guarantee to get a full tank of CO2. Simply weigh the empty tank vs the filled tank.
So it seems most people go to airgas and swap tanks out? So maybe I just buy a cheaper used one as I am going to lose it anyways?

So it seems most people go to airgas and swap tanks out? So maybe I just buy a cheaper used one as I am going to lose it anyways?
Just make sure you know how to (google) check the certification date on the used cylinder. (or just buy / rent it where you will be exchanging).

The Airgas store I go to wont take any other manufacturer’s tank. You can buy one or rent one from them.
But call first before getting a new or used tank.

I am told that they use food grade. Whether that is true or not, I don't know. But, what is the problem if it is not?
Impurities I'd imagine like if you spray Lysol or other airborne things in your room where your tank lives, it'll get into the water.

Chances are it is NSF certified or equivalent certified C02 since there are not that many suppliers of C02 in the region and they want to have the ability to supply product to everyone. The majority of C02 that is used in this region is for food/beverage.

So I haven't started my reactor but I have been using co2 for years growing plants. I use green zone in worcester they use food grade and nice tanks with handles for exchange. Getting it filled is a pain for me with 2 20lb tanks so a swap for under 20 each is what I do.

First of all, food grade and non food grade CO2 are manufactured differently. Food grade CO2 is from Ethanol plants as a by product. Non food grade CO2 is captured from various chemical fumes.
Second, non food grade contains benzene, acetaldehyde and other volatile organic compounds.

So I haven't started my reactor but I have been using co2 for years growing plants. I use green zone in worcester they use food grade and nice tanks with handles for exchange. Getting it filled is a pain for me with 2 20lb tanks so a swap for under 20 each is what I do.
You live near Worcester? There aren't many of us out this way..

I go to local brewing shop beer wine hobby. the provide exchanges and it is food grade

I am told that they use food grade. Whether that is true or not, I don't know. But, what is the problem if it is not?
If it is the paintball shop on Rt20 in Auburn, they had always said it was food grade because they supply people who brew beer but that could have changed.

Back