Coalminer's 30 Gallon Nuvo Tank

Coalminer

Non-member
In another thread, someone mentioned doing a build thread for our tank. Since there isn't much building involved here, it is more of a progress thread. I haven't had time to post it yet, but since finals are done, here we go.

I bought the tank off of a guy in Wakefield, MA, who has posted it on Craigslist. I drove down on Labor day and picked it up. The tank had been running for about a year, but the guy was moving back to the West Coast. For $200 I got the tank, pump, sand, water, light, and a couple of rocks. After getting it home, and set up on a very sturdy Target end table, it looked like this:

For anyone who is curious, this is what the back of the Nuvo looks like:

In addition to the rock that came with the tank, you can see a couple of pieces of dried rock that we added right away. I had read up on cycling and thought I had a pretty good grasp on how it works, but what made this different was the fact that this was an already-running "mature" tank, so I wasn't sure how that would affect the setup. Basically I just began checking ammonia and nitrite levels, waiting to see how the sand bed and the couple of pieces of live rock handled the move.

One if the first things we added was an emerald crab. You can also see some brown zoas that came with the live rock piece.

As ammonia and nitrite levels stayed low, we eventually added hermit crabs and a lawnmower blenny. The first blenny committed suicide by jumping out, so we replaced him and bought egg crate at Lowes.

The next step was to build a stand to replace the end table. I built a frame out of 2x4s with legs, encased with 1x8s for trim to dress it up a little. The lip around the top comes up and covers about the bottom ½ inch of the tank, but it’s really secure. Basically we slid the tank into the top and then shifted the whole stand back against the wall. That was really the only way to get it in, since the Nuvo has almost nothing to hold onto other than the bottom.

You can also see the stock light that came with the tank. It was a simple 3 position switch for white, blue, or off. Needed to be upgraded.

My parents were coming to visit at the end of October, so we wanted the tank looking nice. The next step was to purchase about 17 lbs of live rock from Jay’s Aquatics. Ideally, we would have quarantined it first, but we didn’t have anywhere to do that. So after a brief exterior scrub, it went into the tank.

We picked up a few hitchhikers from these, most notably bristle worms and a little bit of aptasia. This photo is a little out of order, but it shows our original rock setup. You can also see the new light bar (http://www.amazon.com/Current-USA-Fixture-Orbit-Marine/dp/B00WFDCL52). This was also bought at Jay's, cheaper than Amazon, by the way.

To combat the aptasia before it got out of control, I added two of these guys, but only one survived.

I finally got around to finishing the tank.

Some of my corals so far:

Green toadstool leather from Humu Trigger (you can also see the fringe of a sebae below):

A 7-headed hammer I bought from a guy on Craigslist:

And green star polyps from Aresangel being photobombed by Greg Hiller’s leather. In the back you can also see a Tupperware where I am attempting to frag green striped mushrooms.

Nice progression and nice closeups there at the end.

Is that a purple dottyback I see poking into the last full tank shot?

Nice progression and nice closeups there at the end.

Is that a purple dottyback I see poking into the last full tank shot?

Thanks.

It's an orchid dottyback. They seem to be the least aggressive of the dottybacks, so I thought it might be good fit for the tank. The only other fish are a tailspot blenny and a maroon clown. Since getting the clown, I keep reading that the maroons are aggressive, but he just kind of derps around and hangs out with his magnet.

I haven't had a dottyback but have seen that they have good personalities (curious and inquisitive). It's really a shame that most tend to be so aggressive, as there are so many vividly colored species and they stay a nice size for smaller tanks.

I had a gold stripped maroon many years ago that would attack my hand whenever it would be near his spot in the tank

I hope the GSP is happier now. Sorry for the shoddy frag job but the tank is looking colorful now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope the GSP is happier now. Sorry for the shoddy frag job but the tank is looking colorful now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dunno. They all have polyps out at this point, so I would consider that a successful fragging.

Update on the tank with a video. All physical media has been removed following a GHA outbreak that started around Christmas/New Years. Especially after my lawnmower blenny died suddenly. Added a number of different snails to help with clean up. Also installed a Tunze 9004 skimmer in one overflow, and added some more rubble to the other side. Swapped the Koralia nano powerhead for a Jebao RW-4. You can sort of see the wave motion in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bdl9agaZSk

Lots of thanks to Garry (welshintheusa) for all of his help with the tank.

Last edited:
Continuing in the spirit of DIY....

GT's videos about his new LED lights have gotten me thinking about mine. I wanted to get my Current Orbit Pro up higher off of the water so that the light gets a little more spread out, as well as ramping up the intensity and shortening the light cycle. In order to do the first part, I began looking for a light hanging kit.

But why buy when you can make your own? I found several reef threads about people making light holders out of electrical conduit and wire, so I decided to make my own. Most people bend their own conduit (and make some really cool designs), but I didn't want to buy a bender, and the pre-made 90 degree pieces turned out to be the exact length that I needed. Got everything cut, screwed, and wired up, and only had to make one trip back to get the pieces to crimp the wire in place. I want to paint it at some point, but I should probably match it to the stand, and I haven't decided whether I want to go black or white. Anyways, heres pics.

After looking at the lights for a day, its interesting to note that I don't see as many "color spots" as a did before. When the lights were right down on the water, there would occasionally be spots in the rocks where the light from only one diode would penetrate, resulting in a magenta or blue spot that would look out of place. Now, the light seems to be able to diffuse better, and give a more even look.

7 month update! Feels like it hasn't been that long... The algae is seeming to stay away, but other, less aggressive algaes have crept in now that the GHA is gone. Keeping an eye on that.

On a related note, my emerald crab died about 3-4 weeks ago. About 2 weeks after it died, I had 3 bubbles of bubble algae appear on frags, one of which I specifically dipped in Hydrogen Peroxide. I went out and got two more small emeralds, and the bubble algae disappeared after a few days. So I know there is a debate about whether emeralds actually eat bubble algae, but maybe I just got lucky.

Also have a bit of cyano, but that might be the result of slacking off on water changes after defeating the GHA.

As you can see in the pics, a lot of my zoas and palys are doing well. I did have an issue where my orange and blue zoas were closing up almost all of the time. The only thing that I had left to try (after eliminating water quality, light, flow, parameters, etc) was that maybe there was some chemical warfare going on that they didn't like. So I added a bag of charcoal in the overflow, and they have since been restored to their former glory. Unfortunately my Dragons Eyes are still about 75% dead. But still there. I dunno...

Tangerine Twisters have multiplied from 8 to 21 polyps.

Couple of quick pics:

Back