Copperband butterfly and mojanos

stang8s

Cyber P
I have alot of mojano anemones in my reef tank, I would like to start getting rid of them. Im told a copperband butterfly will eat them. I have tried joes juice and it just makes them multiply. What else will the CBB eat/hurt in my tank? I have alot of snails, mini brittles, zoos, etc...Will it eat them too?? I have a 75 gallon with 1 10gal sump and a 10 gal fuge.

Currently in the tank for fish are:
1 hippo tang ~3"
2 perculas ~2" each
1 lawnmower blenny ~4"
1 mandarin ~2"
1 green chromis ~1"
1 royal gramma ~2.5"

Copperband is hit or miss with majano. I have never personally witnessed one eat them.

A raccoon, however, will eat majano. They are a riskier fish for a reef and will chow on soft corals and sometimes clams, although mine seems to behave himself most of the time.

hth,

Joe

Mine eats them only when I feed the anemones. Then they are gone by morning. Featherdusters will most likely be eaten(mine weren't though) and clams may get picked on(again, no problem with mine) . A tiny feeding cage to put food in helps keep them buisy and well fed imho.

I just added a copperband 1.5 weeks ago. I got it in Revere(?) at a place called Sea Creatures. Highly recommend that place. Anyway...

I don't have any majano's or aiptasia I got him for the look. I believe he eats pods but nothing else. I have a clam, softies, LPS and SPS. Although I see him picking at the rocks, I have not seen him touch a coral.
-Karen

hmmm anything else that eats these suckers? Peppermint shrimp dont work.. I have heard of cerain nudibranch that eat aptasia, do they eat mojano?? I also just read to try boiling water.

Jeff, at some point I can lend out the Raccoon. How bad is the majano problem?

Its not horrible yet. I would say there are about 30 randomly spread around and then a patch of about another 40 on a single rock with my clove polyps. I have a lot of nice soft corals though and wouldnt want them chowed!

CBBs aren't known to touch softies. And the peppermints might eat the tiny ones and keep them from spreading.

My CBB ate aptasia, mojos and small feather dusters other then that it has not touched anything else in the tank.....well maybe pods :)
I was told that if anything they would eat zoos but mine has not. There is also 7 clams in the tank all added over time after him

Jeff I thought you had more fish then that in your tank?

I say give it a try and if it does not work for some reason I will take it! I want to try and pair mine up :)

Oh ya, how many shrimp do you have? Mine didnt touch them in the other tank until I added 2 more to the 2 that was in there

Ray just because your CBB has not bothered anything so far it doesn't mean that one day, when he's hungry, you'll wake up will empty clam shells and bare zoo rocks in your tank.

That would have to be a pretty gigantic CBB. But I like mine more than the clams and zoas.

I would love to give a shot to pairing mine too once the 120 is up. How did Greg do it? just luck?

I actually have no peppermints at this time. I think my serpant star may have eaten them, not sure. I had 2. I just put a fire shrimp and a cleaner in yesterday as those had dissapeared as well.

I did have a few more fish but not many.. I had a firefish which is mia and another chromis that got picked on and died.

Be carfull if you have any agressive fish at all. CBBs do very poorly with agressive tankmates even when they are added first.

well i just tried boiling water and it didnt do a thing! I wonder if im supposed to actually inject it into them. Im just shooting it at their mouths...

Jeff, try a CBBF. You may want to seek out an Australian. They cost a little more, but are worth it as they have a better success rate because of collection methods.

Again, you can always try to set up a quarentine with a raccoon and observe his behavior before adding one to the main tank. Also, you could move the infected pieces to the system with the butterfly. FWIW, majano can easily overcome a tank if not treated early on (trust me, I experienced it). The only long term success I have had personally is with the raccoon.

100-09-28-04.jpg

here is the raccoon. *note: there are 4 clams in this tank.

Last edited:
hmmm the more i read on the net the less i believe a cbb will eat them. Like Joe said, The raccoon seems like it will though..

give Sea Creatures in Revere a call, they usually have them in stock and healthy

Back