Copperband Butterflyfish

tnorvish

Non-member
hey ive been thinking of getting one of these fish just curious of peoples personal experience with these fish. Ive read that they are hard to get to eat but im more worried of them eating my clams torch hammers frogspawns and zoos but i do have lots of pods mini feather dusters and aptasia for him to snack on really. Looking for multi responses with yes no answers lol to help me decide

Ours was a model citizen. Never touched the coral. he eat frozen. one of Bob's favorite fish. He up and ran away from tank. :( Never heard or have seen him again.

Generally okay for a reef system in my opinion. Somewhat a fragile fish and can be intimidated by other fish. A sohal tang I had once intimidated the copperband until it stopped eating. Even moved the copperband but it was so tramatized (I guess?) that it never would eat again.

They generally like meaty food and I'd NEVER seen one eat flake food. But in a bizarre twist the one I have now will eat flakes, but ONLY the green ones.

Generally a great fish that stays out in the open a lot.

Yes, will for sure eat featherdusters. IME, they usually leave clams alone, but it is a risk.

I have a beautiful one that developed a taste for LPS . Did a real number on some open brains and a scoly. He was murderous on my clams too. Not all of them, just certain ones. It's been living in the frag tank for the past few months. I need to find a new home for it. It's such a shame because it's one of my favorite fish and I really miss it in the display.

I recently picked up a beauty to help keep my aptasia pop. down but he started nipping at my sps tips and a few acans. He isnt destroying my corals(except for a new single head acan frag:( ), just irritating slightly. It was dicey for the first few days with my yellow tang. The YT was harassing the CB but they eventually worked out their differences and are fine with each other. He doesnt eat much but what is on my rocks and sand bed. I wish he would start eating more mysis and blood worms.

Back