Coral Pricing and Inflation

cablez

Non-member
How are we going to deal with this? Current coral prices are astronomical. I get it, Live animals, I get it shipping, I get it care. But that doesnt mean sustainability for the pricing? Am I wrong? As a fellow seller of corals myself, how are we going to address pricing? When I see it in my own family.....its starting to get rough out there. This isn't in response to anyone, or anything. Just something I am seeing across all LFS, and sellers. It's a Global thing.

How are we going to deal with this? Current coral prices are astronomical. I get it, Live animals, I get it shipping, I get it care. But that doesnt mean sustainability for the pricing? Am I wrong? As a fellow seller of corals myself, how are we going to address pricing? When I see it in my own family.....its starting to get rough out there. This isn't in response to anyone, or anything. Just something I am seeing across all LFS, and sellers. It's a Global thing.

Unfortunately this hobby is getting hit the same as a lot of other products. All it takes is an increase in the first step of the chain for it to grow each step of the way till it reaches the consumers. I’m in the building materials business and have seen increases on so many different items it’s insane to think it can keep going. It will eventually crash because it’s getting to the point where there’s no point buying or building if people can’t afford it anymore. Scary times out there! Maybe we need to start working more group buys to lesson the overall cost of supplies at least, just my two cents.

Personally I buy coral from other hobby reefers almost exclusively. I find the prices and quality to be way better than any LFS or chop shop, and I get the chance to meet other members in person. I give other reefers good deals (sometimes even no charge) when I have things to sell, and I only buy things when I think the price is good. Eventually a good price comes along.

I have very few expectations. IMHO, unless a person owns a LFS (and deal with the associated taxes and overhead of running a legitimate company), they shouldn't expect LFS pricing.

As for increases in costs related to hobby reefers selling to each other, well, I'm still giving, selling, and buying corals in ziplock bags. I'm not sure if they cost more or not, but to me this is a hobby. I spend money to gain enjoyment and I have no expectations of ROI. I don't consider coral an investment by ANY stretch.

Personally I buy coral from other hobby reefers almost exclusively. I find the prices and quality to be way better than any LFS or chop shop, and I get the chance to meet other members in person. I give other reefers good deals (sometimes even no charge) when I have things to sell, and I only buy things when I think the price is good. Eventually a good price comes along.

I have very few expectations. IMHO, unless a person owns a LFS (and deal with the associated taxes and overhead of running a legitimate company), they shouldn't expect LFS pricing.

As for increases in costs related to hobby reefers selling to each other, well, I'm still giving, selling, and buying corals in ziplock bags. I'm not sure if they cost more or not, but to me this is a hobby. I spend money to gain enjoyment and I have no expectations of ROI. I don't consider coral an investment by ANY stretch.
The main issue is costs drive us to be basically coral fraggers....to sustain this hobby. Those of us without expendable income. It's not anyones fault, and it is the way it is and always has been. But does it have to be anymore? I like what the other Chris said, lets start a community, and maybe group buy ins and stuff like this. My original intention for this post wasnt to bash the hobby, but to try and save it. When an animal costs upwards of $250 per head, this hobby has become super inflated. Is what its boiling down to.

The main issue is costs drive us to be basically coral fraggers....to sustain this hobby. Those of us without expendable income. It's not anyones fault, and it is the way it is and always has been. But does it have to be anymore? I like what the other Chris said, lets start a community, and maybe group buy ins and stuff like this. My original intention for this post wasnt to bash the hobby, but to try and save it. When an animal costs upwards of $250 per head, this hobby has become super inflated. Is what its boiling down to.
I think this is a great conversation to be having.

$250 corals only exist because we choose to buy them. If a coral is so extremely rare that it really deserves $250, then maybe it should be in the ocean. And if a coral is such a poor aquarium inhabitant that it can't be fragged routinely once established, it also should probably stay in the ocean.

In a way this is already happening. For example, how many branching hammers do you see posted for every wall hammer you see posted? Easy to frag corals that are easy to grow are what actually survives in this hobby.

Now of course, people will have that coveted coral that they MUST have that they're willing to shell out the money for. But if that coral is well cared for, it too will one day be growing out of the water or into the neighboring coral, and it will NEED to be broken into frags. My thought is that as local reefers, we can drive down the costs of corals to make the hobby more accessible for everyone.

Costs have just gotten out of hand. Last night I was looking on our forum for info about a pump I want to buy and I saw a post from 2012 where two members were complaining to each other about the cost of the pump going up to an outrageous $80. Bulk reef currently sells the pump for $189. That's not inflation, it's greed.

There will always be some people who have the resources to buy whatever they want, whenever they want it. All I can say is that I hope those people spread the cool corals through the club when they have frags.

Years ago I saw jawbreaker mushrooms for like a thousand dollars a polyp. Man did I want some. Fast forward a few years, and I bought some from a local reefers for like $45 a polyp. I still think $45 a polyp is insane to spend for a mushroom, but it is beautiful and it is better than $1k.

I'm really proud of the fact that with the exception of a few ricordea, every coral in my tank is locally and sustainably aquacultured. As a bonus I've gotten some great deals and met some really cool people who I would have never otherwise come across.

I guess what I'm saying is that to me, the BRS IS the community you mentioned, informally. For that to work we have to collectively buy into the idea that this is a place to pass on good deals to local reefers and to buy things that are reasonably priced from each other. This idea of selling frags for full retail, or buying big wild colonies and chopping them up for sale should just end.

Boston reefers member Joe Rice set a great example last spring when he was giving away frags of his way too giant forest fire digi.

It would be really cool to start seeing members do fragging group buys of big corals from other members. If we ever have in person meetings again, I could imagine a person bringing a big coral that's outgrown it's space and selling frags for $10 each and probably making more money than if they sold the colony on the site.

Haha end rant.

I was out of the hobby for a few years and the big thing I noticed returning is the RIDICULIOS names that appeared for things like Mushrooms and polyps and the accompanying price gouging!!

when I got out of the hobby I had a 180g tanks and there was probably 30g worth of mushrooms and polyps I ended up giving for free to a local LFS because they multiplied like weeds and NO ONE wanted them, and I did not want to flush them. Now people are charging $300 for some of those same mushrooms because they renamed them some whole in the cloth name and people are paying it.

I was out of the hobby for a few years and the big thing I noticed returning is the RIDICULIOS names that appeared for things like Mushrooms and polyps and the accompanying price gouging!!

when I got out of the hobby I had a 180g tanks and there was probably 30g worth of mushrooms and polyps I ended up giving for free to a local LFS because they multiplied like weeds and NO ONE wanted them, and I did not want to flush them. Now people are charging $300 for some of those same mushrooms because they renamed them some whole in the cloth name and people are paying it.
You forgot the blue lights and orange filters. :D
This hobby really disgust me in that regard.

Thank god i love the old school school corals which are looked upon as junk corals. But they are getting harder and harder to find. Thats why i keep them and give them away. How in gods name does a newbie walk into a lfs or online and see all high end and not just bail. This hobby is headed for a big burn before it goes back to normal. Please help the new reefers peeps. Not only will it aid our local area and club but god forbid you loose a piece.....its out there growing in others tanks.

Agreed, I’m in the same boat getting back into the hobby and seeing the price of fish is crazy. Example, Yellow Tang! ‍

Agreed, I’m in the same boat getting back into the hobby and seeing the price of fish is crazy. Example, Yellow Tang! ‍
At least with the yellow tangs there is a clear policy to point at and blame.

On the bright side, I have lived in some areas where people didn't have nearly the coral diversity we have in our club. I really do think that most of us view this as a community where we gain pleasure from helping each other out (with a variety of things, reasonably priced corals among them).

I have gotten some amazing deals from fellow Boston Reefers members. It's very strange that the line between hobby reefers and frag for profit reefers has become blurred, but I think it's the exception not the rule.

Thank god i love the old school school corals which are looked upon as junk corals. But they are getting harder and harder to find. Thats why i keep them and give them away. How in gods name does a newbie walk into a lfs or online and see all high end and not just bail. This hobby is headed for a big burn before it goes back to normal. Please help the new reefers peeps. Not only will it aid our local area and club but god forbid you loose a piece.....its out there growing in others tanks.
Same here. This is a struggle for me as I want to support LFS, but it's hard to justify LFS prices for some of this coral. Occasionally I'll buy a small zoa frag or something, but coral I've purchased through this club is much more reasonable. It also generally does better in my tanks since it's usually been growing in another reefer's system for years (decades even) rather than coming in as an import from Australia, Indonesia, etc. z

I'm also amazed at the prices the trendier coral can command. I think torches are gorgeous and would love one in my tank, but I can't justify $100+ for a small frag. Zoa prices are generally insane. I took a breather from the hobby in 2016 and just got back in in August of this year and I can't get over how much has changed. I'm glad to have this forum exists and as my coral grows out, I'm looking forward to sharing.

I've been thinking that it was because I started in this hobby as a poor student and would only trade for and rescue coral. Didn't even look at the prices. But yeah, prices are too damn high! I'm trying to bootstrap to keep my wife/wallet happy. Grow and trade up. That said, I'm an addict and still spend way too much.

I've been thinking that it was because I started in this hobby as a poor student and would only trade for and rescue coral. Didn't even look at the prices. But yeah, prices are too damn high! I'm trying to bootstrap to keep my wife/wallet happy. Grow and trade up. That said, I'm an addict and still spend way too much.
I went through the same process. I still try to grow/trade but it’s tough to not end up spending too much anyway.

I grabbed this colony (photo during water change this morning) off of you in September for next to nothing. It had 7 heads at the time, but has grown super fast. I’ll end up fragging it soon and hopefully help out other new reefers. I’ll probably also fill the newly freed up space with something more expensive and my fiancée will kill me. The circle of reefing life.
12C9A1B1-1746-4DE0-B564-FC9F686C9C31.jpeg

You forgot the blue lights and orange filters. :D
This hobby really disgust me in that regard.
I could not agree more. I went to "sleep" for the better part of 8 years and the hobby went hard-core main stream in terms of obnoxious "designer names" - totally cringe-worthy for those of us that have been in the hobby more then 10 or 15 years. Steve Tyree among a few others started this trend a while back... Coupled with some decent lighting and photo-work, the pricing on some of this stuff is out of control. I sound like a grumpy old man, but I believe it's important to know the genus, species etc. It was part of the allure of the hobby when I got into it back in the day.

And then there are the all-day blue lights... I did not even like the 20k radions (halide bulbs) when they hit the scene.

Alexa torch 800.00. Banana torch bukoo bucks. Really. What if they die....there goes some principal which could be added to mortgage or rainy day fund. (Shaking my head).

I went through the same process. I still try to grow/trade but it’s tough to not end up spending too much anyway.

I grabbed this colony (photo during water change this morning) off of you in September for next to nothing. It had 7 heads at the time, but has grown super fast. I’ll end up fragging it soon and hopefully help out other new reefers. I’ll probably also fill the newly freed up space with something more expensive and my fiancée will kill me. The circle of reefing life.
View attachment 169321
Don't tell and for heavens sake wipe that guilty look off your face. Sheesh. Lol

As for increases in costs related to hobby reefers selling to each other, well, I'm still giving, selling, and buying corals in ziplock bags. I'm not sure if they cost more or not, but to me this is a hobby. I spend money to gain enjoyment and I have no expectations of ROI. I don't consider coral an investment by ANY stretch.. As far as prices go as long as people are willing to pay for it that's where they'll be
Sometimee I think this hobby reflects society.. just like sneakers, Every year there's a trendy coral that people chase. Bounce mushrooms, torches, etc. As long as people are willing to pay the price then that's where the price will be. But it doesn't mean you can't have a nice tank on a budget. There are still plenty of nice Coral available that don't cost an arm and a leg.

Last edited:
“ Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder” they say. The true value of anything is really set by the consumers. Anyone can set an obnoxious price but the buyer ultimately makes the decision. On the other hand, there’s some serious online price gouging that cannot be justified in any way or means. Best thing is do your homework and ask around for the fair market price of the corals using pictures and not names before buying to avoid overpaying. Pictures are worth a thousand words, there can be a hundred different names for the same coral…unfortunately I’m a sucker for some of these so-called fancy named corals but much more or so for it’s colors and looks and no so much because of names. I try to support our LFS as much as I can, it’s a struggle for them daily, many livestocks don’t make it due to shipping stress and what not and lots of time, they dont get to cherry pick the coral shipment, so any cherries are marked up a little more to cover for the hard to sell typical corals. Sadly, many have closed down due to the nature of this business since I’ve been in the hobby. That used to be my weekend thing, go visit multiple LFS for goodies but now not much out there.

Sometimee I think this hobby reflects society.. just like sneakers, Every year there's a trendy coral that people chase. Bounce mushrooms, torches, etc. As long as people are willing to pay the price then that's where the price will be. But it doesn't mean you can't have a nice tank on a budget. There are still plenty of nice Coral available that don't cost an arm and a leg.
I completely agree and I'm 100% okay with people spending what they want to on coral if they have the means. What I'm really disgusted by is the fact that now ALL of the major dry goods and livestock vendors offer in store financing. I think that it exploits the fact that new reefers are low key addicted to the hobby. Considering that the average time a person is in this hobby is only 3 months, I see that as an issue. Nevermind the fact that now everyone does "live sales" to get reefers to sit in front of their computer like it's a coral slot machine.

Back