Coral World and Atlantis Submarine in St. Thomas

OceanGuy

We're going on a cruise to the carribean on Aug. 5th and I was wondering if anyone has been to the Coral World Aquarium or on the Atlantis Submarine in St. Thomas in the Virgin Islands. I will have to make a choice as they are both excursions at the same time and thought that if I had others' feedback it would make the decision easier. We'd be appreciative of any feedback that you could send our way.

Thanks

Tom, my family and I have been to both on separate trips. The coral world was okay but better for kids. It was mostly fish, sharks, and turtles, not too much in terms of corals though. The atlantis submarine was nice. It only goes down about 50 ft and you do see a lot of fish and corals. It's as if you were scuba diving. Everything does look blue at that depth. It can get packed and probably would not be good if you are claustrophobic. If I had to choose between the 2, I definitely would take the submarine.
If you make it to St Thomas and have some time, definitely go to St John. It is more less developed and pristine than St Thomas.

I went to Coral World. It's pretty cool. Like newreefer says, not too many corals, but then again, the Atlantic doesn't seem to compare to the Pacific. The unique thing about Coral World is the reverse tank, where you go into the tank submerged in the ocean. Kinda opposite to the giant tank at NEAQ. Coral world is adjacent to Coki beach, so when you are finished with Coral World, you can spend a few hours at the beach and do some snorkeling.
I know you'll be on a cruise, but if one of your stops is Tortola, take the ferry to Virgin Gorda and check out the baths. Great snorkeling there too.

Thanks

Thanks for the info. There is an excursion to St. John and it is at the same time as the Atlantis submarine or the Coral World. I think that everyone I have talked to says to go to St. John if we get the chance. We'll probably do that. If that is closed, I'll definately go with the Atlantis submarine.

newreefer03 said:
Tom, my family and I have been to both on separate trips. The coral world was okay but better for kids. It was mostly fish, sharks, and turtles, not too much in terms of corals though. The atlantis submarine was nice. It only goes down about 50 ft and you do see a lot of fish and corals. It's as if you were scuba diving. Everything does look blue at that depth. It can get packed and probably would not be good if you are claustrophobic. If I had to choose between the 2, I definitely would take the submarine.
If you make it to St Thomas and have some time, definitely go to St John. It is more less developed and pristine than St Thomas.

Thanks

Thanks, we did put Corki beach on our list of places to go and I'm definately going to snorkel a bit in Tortola. The tip to go to the baths at Virgin Gorda is a good one. It's now on our list. We also have several hours in Bermuda and I've been snorkeling several places there.

I only take about two weeks vacation and cruising is really relaxing for us where everyone else does the work. My daughter is 24 and she has some mental challenges. She comes with us so it limits some activities that we can both do, but she loves the water and the activities aboard the ship. My wife and I usually split up for some things she likes going to the beach with my daughter while I do some of the more active things. Want to try parasailing and maybe a helmet dive.

MarkO said:
I went to Coral World. It's pretty cool. Like newreefer says, not too many corals, but then again, the Atlantic doesn't seem to compare to the Pacific. The unique thing about Coral World is the reverse tank, where you go into the tank submerged in the ocean. Kinda opposite to the giant tank at NEAQ. Coral world is adjacent to Coki beach, so when you are finished with Coral World, you can spend a few hours at the beach and do some snorkeling.
I know you'll be on a cruise, but if one of your stops is Tortola, take the ferry to Virgin Gorda and check out the baths. Great snorkeling there too.

Back