Coraline etc. cleanup - hiring?

Armando

v 4.0
Has anyone thought of hiring someone to come in periodically and scrape coraline and clean up (other) algae? This task is really taking the joy of the hobby for me. Where would you find someone for such job?

there are alot of people who do maint. in your area.

a few close LFS's should have some maint. names for you.

I'll check with them. I enjoy doing overall maintenance, this is mostly for coraline scraping and other algae removal. No fun having 28 feet of glass to clean. Time to downsize maybe...

Armando,

I have found it much more 'fun' to clean the glass when using a magnetic cleaner as my arm is dry and I can look in the tank at the same time. Most of the magnetic cleaners will not effectivly clean coraline algae, and have a tendency to scratch the glass, but I have a work around.

I purchased one of the really large Tunze mag. cleaners, and use that on the outside, while using a small magnetic scraper on the inside that had razor blades in it. The small magnetic scraper is too weak to use on thick glass, but when using the Tunze on the outside it makes up for that weakness. The scraper is pretty small, and it therefore takes some time, but I don't mind if I can look into the tank. The Tunze magnets are quite expensive, but the small inside scraper is only about $7 or so. The blades are pretty decent, and do not rust as fast as razor blades, particularly if you rinse the salt off each time. You can purchase replacement blades direct from the manufacturer (Penn Plax I believe) for very low $. If you are over some time I can show you how this works.

Greg, that is EXACTLY what I've been looking for. :)
My 150 is too deep for my arms to reach inb the front (not to mention the display side is in another room). Any chance you could post a photo of the scraper?

Based on Greg's Description, would it be posible to shim a single steel razor blade with some felt or something and just use the blade and magnet to clean the glass?

MarkO said:
Greg, that is EXACTLY what I've been looking for. :)
My 150 is too deep for my arms to reach inb the front (not to mention the display side is in another room). Any chance you could post a photo of the scraper?

Same here, my tanks bottom front is just a bit to far for my little short arms :)

I broke the head off of a toilet brush and cut a slot in the handle for a razor blade. The handle is ergonomic :p The only thing that bugs me is razoring close to the silicone. I want to cover the corners on the outside and inside so I don't have to wory about it. I'll use wood trim fot the outside, but havn't figured out what I'll do on the inside.

I've got a long scraper, but I have trouble getting around the rocks and leverage on it, not to mention I can't see what I'm doing unless I stick my head under water and use a mask.
I've got a magfloat lying around, maybe I'll try putting a magnetic scraper together.

nitrofish said:
won't an urchin eat coriline alage?

Yes but not fast enough...

And they also don't do a very though job...Mine is on disclipnary job probation after missing an entire section on the front and starting on the back. Slacker never finishes...

Those scrapers are great, but what about us Acrylic people...I can't reach the bottom of my 300, my mag float wont do the green coraline...and When i go to close to the bottom I just pick up sand and scratch it anyway...

My next tank will be glass lol..

>Maybe you could get one of these They have them for Mag and Tunze magnets.
More info at http://www.oceansmotions.com<

Wow, that looks VERY cool. I'll have to look into that.

>http://www.oceansmotions.com<

Nice, but $30 is a little steep. I'm very paranoid at the moment about getting any scratchs in my new tank.

BTW, they mention at the site that you can put some type of scraper in for acrylic tanks.

I cut a notch in an old mag-float scraper and glued in a razorblade. Works surprisingly well (especially when I use my Magnavore magnet on the outside of the tank). Prettymuch takes 95% of the coraline off in the first pass, and the remaining 5% in the second.
Pretty easy to make. Takes about 10-15 minutes.

Attachments

• magfloat-scraper.jpg
    magfloat-scraper.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 192
I feel your pain

I use a Kent scraper with the metal blade. It puts surface scrapes in the acrylic that are nearly invisible. You have to be careful but it works much better and faster than the plastic scraper. I also use a few different length handles, one 3 foot one 1.5 foot, one 1 foot and the real short handle sometimes.

If you scratch the acrylic you can buff it out without draining any water. I use cleaning magnets with mesh grid polishers inside the tank between the inside magnet and the acrylic.

sw300galma said:
Those scrapers are great, but what about us Acrylic people...I can't reach the bottom of my 300, my mag float wont do the green coraline...and When i go to close to the bottom I just pick up sand and scratch it anyway...

My next tank will be glass lol..

Back