Corals for a new tank

wsonner

Fins To The Left
I'm looking for advice on what might to well in a new tank. My Red Sea Max Nano is 2+ weeks post cycle and I put a pair of MochaVinci clowns in last week. I want to start adding some coral but don't want anything that won't do well in a virtually sterile tank. My overall goal includes zoas, corralimorphs and one Euphyllia. I started the tank with Marco Rocks dry rock and about 1" of sand. What's the best/safest next step?

Leathers and zoas should do well. They prefer some nitrates in the water so they are good at the start of tanks after the ammonia is converted to nitrates. You could also consider an anemone that can be supplement fed as well. As far as it goes though, corals just need light and stable conditions (alkalinity and calcium)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darn, I missed my chance to buy some Rasta Zoas in the Marketplace yesterday. Those would have been cool.

I wouldn't put an anemone in a tank so new. Nems do far better in mature systems with stable parameters. A new tank isn't a good idea to throw a nem in already.

Most softies will be okay, some LPS will be okay. Stay away from SPS for a little while though.
Leathers and zoas should do well. They prefer some nitrates in the water so they are good at the start of tanks after the ammonia is converted to nitrates. You could also consider an anemone that can be supplement fed as well. As far as it goes though, corals just need light and stable conditions (alkalinity and calcium)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I wouldn't put an anemone in a tank so new. Nems do far better in mature systems with stable parameters. A new tank isn't a good idea to throw a nem in already.

Most softies will be okay, some LPS will be okay. Stay away from SPS for a little while though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Right. I am not going to have an anemone anyway, nor leathers/(non-zoa)softies. I'd like a nice zoa garden with some shrooms and a Euphyllia. I just want to get there safely by not adding anything yet which needs a mature tank.

Last edited:
I have many inexpensive zoas to start with, also have fancy ones too.

Back