Could excessive PAR cause this?

chadfish

BRS Member
As I was setting up my new lights, my Kenya Tree and Neon Toadstool decided to clam up. They’ve been like this for over 24 hours with the lighting stabilized.

Do you think it’s natural or is something distressing them

Parameters:
Temp 77-78
Salinity 1.0235 (recently down from 1.024)
Alk 8.1
pH 8.0
Calcium 450
Nitrate 5-10
Phosphate 0.06
PAR ~150
Reef Breeder 32 V2+
PAR was much higher earlier and they seemed happy but as I was resetting to turn them down, the lighting changed rapidly. Everyone was confused, but everyone else is fine now.

Dinos are still kicking around and all sorts of algae are growing from excess lighting

Do you have a PAR meter and that was taken at the depth the corals are at? Also, how high off water surface is the photon? @dz6t is super knowledgeable with Reefbreeders and warned me when I bought mine to be careful. They are powerful. I run 3 16” PhotonV2 on a standard 180 Gallon, and I can grow monti LPS, etc on the sand at 65% max on blue channels for a 12 hour cycle only using middle 4 hours at that max setting. 9” above water.

Do you have a PAR meter and that was taken at the depth the corals are at? Also, how high off water surface is the photon? @dz6t is super knowledgeable with Reefbreeders and warned me when I bought mine to be careful. They are powerful. I run 3 16” PhotonV2 on a standard 180 Gallon, and I can grow monti LPS, etc on the sand at 65% max on blue channels for a 12 hour cycle only using middle 4 hours at that max setting. 9” above water.
Thanks. I actually bought them from @dz6t (thanks Dong) and I currently have the club PAR meter. Hence all the adjustments.

Toad stool and Kenya tree can take a large amount of light. Despite they are labeled as low light coral, in reality they are not, leather coral can take large amount of light such as over 500 to 600 par, which at this light level can damage sps and kill lps. Since they can survive at 75 to 100 par, they are thought to be low light coral.
Leather and toadstool close up regularly and open up bigger.
I won’t worry about par level for them. As long as they don’t turn black and melt, I would just leave them alone.

Thanks everyone @LaxFrags @dz6t . As usual the answer is simply be patient, do nothing, and monitor. Kenya tree is back looking great!!

CC196DE9-4E4D-4467-9BED-0AF11B0C3955.jpeg

Back