Could inverts eat acans?

Kens Bees

BRS Member
I added a bunch of peppermints and an emerald crab about 6 weeks ago. Is started losing some of my acans shortly after. They sort of just withered away to a skeleton over a couple days. all the parameters are good, no changes in lighting or salt or anything like that. I sort of wrote it off as you win some and lose some. After a couple weeks they were all gone, now I’m seeing similar on one of my Blasto colonies. Would either of those inverts be likely suspects?

Emerald crab has my vote. In my experience peppermints tend to only bother corals when they are getting spot fed and are trying to get an easy meal. Pitho crabs are supposed to be reef safe.

I took the emerald out and there's no change other than more damage to more lps. All the acans have been decimated, blasto's are in poor shape and a bowerbanki is now showing its skeleton. I started trapping the peppermints last night.

I took the emerald out and there's no change other than more damage to more lps. All the acans have been decimated, blasto's are in poor shape and a bowerbanki is now showing its skeleton. I started trapping the peppermints last night.
Damn, sorry to hear brotha.

This is horrible, did you test all water parameters. all in line including SG. any stray voltage in the tank? I had 50v in the water from a base heater similar issue to yours.

This is horrible, did you test all water parameters. all in line including SG. any stray voltage in the tank? I had 50v in the water from a base heater similar issue to yours.
SG is low but everything else is in line. Not sure how I would test for voltage? I’m always up to my elbow in that tank and don’t feel anything.

SG is low but everything else is in line. Not sure how I would test for voltage? I’m always up to my elbow in that tank and don’t feel anything.
To test for voltage you need a meter. Place one of the leads into a properly grounded plug and the other into the tank. Set the meter on ac volts. Do not try if you are not comfortable working with electricity.
IMG_8500.jpeg
IMG_8499.jpeg

Back