Crab ID

~Flighty~

Now with more baby
I don't know where the heck this guy came from except maybe as a hitchhiker on rock I bought years ago. I haven't bought live rock or any mounted corals in ages. He must have grown up in the tank.

I noticed him because he had been breaking off pieces of digita and barricading himself in under a coral. I wouldn't have seen him except for me moving a clam left one of his walls exposed.

Any id ideas? (pics in next post)

sorry for the poor quality pics...

Attachments

• DSC00002-1.JPG
    DSC00002-1.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 163
  • DSC00003-1.JPG
    DSC00003-1.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 154
  • DSC00006-1.JPG
    DSC00006-1.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 154
  • DSC00007-1.JPG
    DSC00007-1.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 153
Teh internets tells me it is some sort of Xanthid species, likely to eat fish and clams as well as anything it can get its hands on.

Teh internets tells me it is some sort of Xanthid species, likely to eat fish and clams as well as anything it can get its hands on.

It's a rock crab....They are nasty...They will break snail & hermit shells apart to eat the critters...When you see shells empty & spiraled as if they were cracked apart...You got a bigun in there.... They don't go after the snails or hermits till they get about the size of a ping pong ball....(yes they get that big!!!) Off to the sump or the freezer with that one!!!

Well the kids named him Crabby McGrumpypants and he is residing in a nano on our kitchen table for now. This guy has been clipping off digita branches as big around as my thumb and decorating under clams for a while. I imagine some of the mysterious injuries I've seen on fish are from him. I'll sure keep my hands out of his tank.

I just found a molt of one of these guys in my 180 after I moved all the rocks... I guess the hunt is on lol

Back