Crabs...what's your thought on them?

smcnally

Tankless
I have always loved watching my crabs clean rock, and they never seem to bother anything. All I read about on RC is how there are no "good crabs". I ended up catching and turning in 2 Red Mithrax, and 1 BIG Emerald for credit at a LFS because I don't want to wake up one morning to chomped corals. Is this myth or fact? I still have one gorilla in hiding that I hope to catch. The only ones I will keep in there are my porcelains.

TBoisvert said:
hmmmm, my thoughts on crabs... LOL!!!
thats just wrong :D

I wouldnt really worry to much crabs can mis-behave sometimes though, but if they are model citizen no need to boot them out i would remove the gorilla well i use the handle of a wooden spoon to make them into critter food

Last edited:
I've never had a problem with any crabs I've kept, not that I've seen any way. Just don't buy a decorator crab, not that I know from experience or anything. They like leathers alot!

I love all the crabs in my tank and I would never get rid of them. I have a teddy bear, emerald, all different kinds of hermits, and I had an Arrow but he died. I am definitely going to get another one for my big tank - they are the coolest critters.

i like emerald crabs never had problem with them but gorilla crab very bad for reefs i think i had one in my tank that made all sorts of problems i had to break a good piece of lr to get him out he was a hitch hiker in some other LR i got waht a mess good luck

I had all my crabs out during my month long Red Bug treatment and realized that the tank was no better or worse for having them out. I personally like the crabs; all of them. They are neat to watch and I'm sure they DO help clean. Actually, my days of making tidal pools and stocking them with hermit crabs on Swifts Beach in Wareham was a true "foreshadowing" of things to come. I also have large (racquet ball sized) land hermit crabs in the basement next to the reef. My family says that I "relate" to them because I am first, a Zodiac Cancer, and second, a "crabby" person myself ;)

D

Back