Craigslist plastic drums - "food grade" anyone buy one of these for making SW?

Richard Kagen

Non-member
seems very useful and $20-$25 is sure cheap enough, anyone buy them? from who? there seems to be a place in Salem and another in Metheun

Many people have bought them and use 'em.
I bought two; years ago from a Craiglist seller. Can't remember where he was located. He had a bunch, I grabbed two.
I'd buy one or two more if I could find someone close. I'd plumb two with bulkheads and plumb them to my sump.

I'd mix new saltwater in barrel A for a water change.
When ready, I would fill barrel B with water from my sump to know that I'm removing as much water as I'm filling.
Then I would fill the sump with the new water from barrel A.

I would have the at least one other barrel (call it C) with ready to use RO/DI water.

I just sold the two 55g blue food-safe drums I bought from a guy in CT last year. These had vanilla syrup or something in them originally. They also had the 5g graduated marks.

I cut out the tops with a sawz-all and then bought some brute trash barrel lids (not cheap!).

I used one to hold fresh RODI water; had two little holes drilled near the top for my RODI float/backpressure switch and a 1/2" tube connected to a MJ600 for ATO use (along with the OSC command on my Apex).

The other had no extra holes and was used to mix water. When it was time to do a water change I drained my 100g stock tank down, added in new water, drained a little more down, and then more new water back to my normal operating line.

Back