Crushed coral bed on top of live sand?

STiTCH87

Saltwater OCD Victim
Can you put a layer of crushed coral on top of live sand? My live sand gets blown around like mad no matter what I do with my powerheads so I figure maybe curshed coral will be heavier and will stop with the sand blowing all on top of every little thing? And no, my powerheads are not too strong or aimed poorly. They're aimed straight across the top of the tank, not even at the sandbed anymore because if I point them down even a little, well, it's bad...

Lol oh yeah huh?

Damn... Maybe I should get less powerful powerheads... And then double up or something.

Lol oh yeah huh?

Damn... Maybe I should get less powerful powerheads... And then double up or something.

What do you have for powerheads and what type of tank are you looking to keep?LPS,SPS...softies,mixed???
JMO,but sounds like you have way too big PHs for your tank.There should be a point when deflecting the flow around that the sand stays put.If not then you have too much.

Also,if I had a dollar for every new reefer that cursed the day they put C.C. in a tank.I'd have my membership here covered for a few years.lol

Last edited:
Also,if I had a dollar for every new reefer that cursed the day they put C.C. in a tank.I'd have my membership here covered for a few years.lol

Not just new members, I'm amazed at how many people absolutely regret using crushed coral. From what I have heard and seen in other peoples' tanks they act as nitrate factories.

Perhaps changing power heads will work, you could also perhaps change out the existing sandbed very slowly(over a week or two) and use a "coarser/heavier" sand.

I have a standard 29g with a 350gph powerhead on the left wall and a 250gph powerhead on the right wall. There's also another 350gph powerhead on the right wall that feed to my water chiller and then back into my tank in the back/left corner via a tube pointing across the water but that flow is rather low by the time it's returned to the tank. I'd say maybe 75gph at best.

My sand is very, very, very fine. I bought it that fine on purpose (forget why...) but fine means light, and light isn't always fun. Lol.

I'm keeping all softies except for a couple of LPS (only one as of right now) and if I go T5, maybe a few more LPS.

I'd take the 350 gph power head out and use it for mixing saltwater.
Or sell it and use the $$ for the T5 light.
For a softy with a few LPS tank,that 250 gph is fine along with the chiller return.I had 2 MJ 1200s on a 55 gallon softy/lps tank for a few years with no issues.That adds up to about 600 gph,about what you have in your 29 gallon minus the chiller return.

why don't you just aim the powerheads up towards the surface? I run 2 koralia 2s in my 25 and no sand moves

Back