current orbit marine LED light

hvusalt

Non-member
anyone used this light? i want to use this for my 75 gallon SPS coral tank. any inputs appreciated.

I had 2, 36" ones over my 180 FOWLR and really liked the light and the settings but once I converted to mixed reef I replaced them, I don't think they could support SPS, not enough wattage. I was getting some coraline algae growth with them and I had mushrooms, kenya trees and Palys that were doing well under them though I ended up adding T5's to supplement. I still have them if you want to make the trek out to leominster to see what they look like over a tank, they would only take a minute to hook back up.

I replaced them with reef breeders so you can see the difference too, I would say for SPS reef breeders would be the better option without breaking the bank.

I am not looking to sell, I am hanging onto them for future projects.

hi thank for the info. i would love to come your place sometimes for reef talk. i currently used a no name LED and thinking about adding other LED to support but may be a T5 now instead. i have low light corals now and just starting slowly adding some SPS frags though.
thanks
Dan

From the web:
The Current USA Orbit Marine LED 36-48":

Can be programmed to ramp up the light in the morning, ramp it down at night and turn on the moonlights. There are also color adjustment capabilities and on-demand storm, cloud cover and lighting settings.
•36 Watts. 36X 445nm LEDs. 36X 460nm LEDs. 54X 12K LEDs. 18X 8,800L LEDs.

They are current on sale for $150
http://www.marineandreef.com/Current_USA_Orbit_Marine_LED_36_48_p/rcu04102.htm

Pro:
It is 72 blue and 72 white chips, so it is kinda reef capable.
Cheap for a controllable LED with remote
WIth that many 0.25w LED, disco ball effect should not be a problem

Con:
It is way under power for any tank deeper than 12 inch.
It is OK for soft coral and LPS if used alone.
Blue and white LED, spectrum coverage is limited

Cheap! for a controllable light, this is cheap!

Back