Cushion Star, anyone ever keep one?

One Eye

former vp of pr
I found a very strange hitch-hiker. I was moving some rock around and found a Cushion Star. It's a couple different color greens and about 3". I know they are coral eaters. Anyone ever keep one? I'm trying to feed it some of that green digi I was trying to get rid of at the last meeting. I try for a pic in a little while.

here's a pic.

Attachments

• 2003_0528cushionstar0007 (Custom).JPG
    2003_0528cushionstar0007 (Custom).JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 217
Hmmm...coral eating starfish...

I see the stampede to the LFS, now. :D

Put that guy in with the mantis and see what happens. :eek:

BTW...which tank did you find it in? How big is it?

It's about 3". Kinda round. These things don't have arms that protrude like normal star fish. I found it in the bucket of rock I got from Living Sea when he was closing. This thing survived quite a trip. I put 140 lbs of rock in buckets,dry,in the back of my pick up, raining, about 50 degrees all the way from Living sea to Weare, uncovered, with a pit stop at AquaAddicts. Then I left the buckets outside for a couple hours. Brought them in. Mixed up some saltwater real quick and threw everything into that rubbermaid with a powerhead and heater, covered it and left it alone until today I decided to look at it. I was picking through the rock when I found a SQUISHY rock....

Hey, I remember that star, he was at living sea for a long time, so I wouldn't worry too much about him starving. I would have loved to get him if I had a fish only system. I think I saw him eating frozen clam once, so maybe you could try that.

In case you want to get rid of it, I will like to give it a home. I love that star fish.

From what I've read, the only enemy these things have are trumpet snails. I'm putting together a larger tank for my mantis and the star is gonna shack up with him/her/whatever. If the mantis begins to harass it I'll let you know and you can have it.

Back