Custom lighting idea - anyone ever try this ?

Mad Reefer

Non-member
Hey

I was poking around Ebay the other night and saw HID headlight kits for as low as 35.99. with electronic ballasts. They had from 6k to 25k. Has anyone tried this? I could make some custom reflectors and a hood. What do you think?

Rob

Last edited:
You may be on to something Rob. These kits are obviously 12v kits so how about building this and using it as a battery back up in case of loss of power. Could have a battery bank with a few car batteries to run the light and some air pumps.

Yeah A back up is a great idea. It is 12volts.... I was thinking some sort or transformer in the basement, and a couple batteries for the back up too .. Thanks

Last edited:
there was a tank that was featured somewhere, maybe coral magazine that had a guy who used small MH in conjunction with projection lenses to focus them i think.
as far as a backup, lighting is usually a low priority since it is very energy hungry and coral can go the longest without light in comparison with thier other needs

for the most part...probably not worth it, you might as well step up to the 150w level and actually have some bulb selection

I usually buy them from DDM Tuning for my truck. They have good prices and warranty. Plus they have the 35W and 55W kits for good prices.

DDM Tuning

Yeah, I'm a newbie and was also wondering how easy those DIY lighting kits are to setup. I was going to have my Boston electrician buddy help me setup when I decide on the lighting type, but thought it might be better for me to try on my own. Any particular type of DIY kit people have used, and were satisfied with?

Hey

I was poking around Ebay the other night and saw HID headlight kits for as low as 35.99. with electronic ballasts. They had from 6k to 25k. Has anyone tried this? I could make some custom reflectors and a hood. What do you think?

Rob
Hmm interesting. Anybody got a spectrometer hanging around? Let's fire it up and see what we get. Heh. Maybe you can get Sanjay to test em for you.

Back