custom t5 hood

willray

Division Champs
While waiting for my 4 t5's with reflectors and an icecapp 660 :D I started my hood.It all stainless steel.Made the hard way with punchs, tin snips,grinders,hammer... The holes on the end are of course for ventilation. might put(probably)put a variable speed fan on the outside of my wood canopy.This hood will house 3 of the t5's and will pivot up out of the way for easy access to the tank.A 2nd hood will hold the 4th t5 and will remain in place so I can see while I'm working in the tank.
What do you think so far? Ideas,suggestions,opinions
BTW I am replacing 4 55watt pc's.

Attachments

• Sscn1790.jpg
    Sscn1790.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 517
  • Sscn1791.jpg
    Sscn1791.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 449
I'm super impressed. I very much wish I had the skills to do something like that. How much experience do you have working with metal?

Have about 4-5 hrs into it.I used to supervise up to 17 people in the shop.now down to just a few.So I am skilled at and not limited to, machining,fabricating,welding,coatings,sheet metal mech, assembling,designing,research and development,drafting,shipping and recieving,purchasing........Equipment is old and NO automation.Been there since 1980.
Anyone need a good dependable employee.The owner is old 96ishand I think his daughter will sell the building.

Do you have any suggestions for suppliers (local or online) for the hand tools and materials you used for this? I'd like to add that sort of thing to my Sticky with supply sources.

looking for a peice of stainless72x36 can you help . need one side to shine need for a reflector thanks. chris

thanks for the good feedback. Nate I might have made it sound like I didn't use any machinery.I did! including shear,tig welder and brake the rest was done with hand tools..Drill, emery cloth,scoth bright,files...Supplies were bought from source already mentioned on the forum.Mcmastercarr,Grainger.The holes were put in with the use of a knockout.They can be had any electrical supply and maybe a plumbing supply.
Hawaii, I can supply the stainless in 20 ga but not mirror polished.My understanding is the shape of the reflector has more importance the surface of the reflector itself.

4th light

here is a pic of the fourth t5 light strip.this one will stay above the tank

Attachments

• Sscn1813.jpg
    Sscn1813.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 498
willray, I know you commented above on the shape of the reflector being important. Are you planning on using reflectors with this setup?

Dedfish yes! icecaps. these are mearly to hold the reflectors .I'm just hoping the diminsions that I got of the web site are accurate.

I understand that shape is very important for reflectors, but I wouldn't discount the finish of the surface as well.

As far as the "hand tools", I asked about that not because I thought you did this whole project with a ball-peen hammer and a file, but because I'm not sure it's as useful for me to list where people can buy a hydralic press and a 12 foot sheet metal break. :) I just wanted to know where you got your supplies and whether there are some basic tools (like the knockout you mentioned) that other less skilled metal workers here could get there hands on for messing around. (Although after being humbled by your beautiful work, I'm not sure any of us will dare try! :))

Nate

Thanks for the praise all.Being jack of all trades and master of none. sheet metal is my favorite.Nate! I got a pic of the hand tools and such. just forgot my camera at work.DOH!
Bill P.

equipment and supplies

Some of the tools and supplies I used to make my t5 hood with.

From left to right.
Hammer a prick punch to spot location of holes--small drill bit for pilot hole this important with stainless as it is very hard--bigger drill bit to make hole large enough for the knockout(in the pic there are 2 one small one large with the small seperated)that was used for the holes on the ends--angle grinder for grinding the welds smooth--cut off disc(one of my favorite tools) is attached to a die grinder but can be used in a hand drill or dremel and will cut just about anything--metal snips red cuts right,yellow cuts straight,green cuts left.

Front row for the finish:
I used 180 grit emerycloth then red scothbright then green scotchbright then fine steel wool going with the grain in even straight strokes.

Additional info:Always wear safety glasses.When drilling stainless using small bits jog the drill giving the bit a chance to cool and always use a coolant/oil.Bigger bits must be used at a much lower speed.

Supplies:Knockouts can had at an electrical supply. as far as the rest is concerned all can be purchased at many places including Grainger, Mcmaster carr,Local hardware stores,home depot,Lowes......

My Hoods are almost done. :D

Attachments

• Sscn1820.jpg
    Sscn1820.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 433
t5 hood is done

here is some pics

Attachments

• Sscn1853.jpg
    Sscn1853.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 395
  • Sscn1854.jpg
    Sscn1854.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 388
  • Sscn1852.jpg
    Sscn1852.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 387
Yes! Mostly from leftovers in my basement. the lattic work was for example was leftover from closet organizer with mdifications of course.

Back