Cyanobacteria we all hate it! Tell us how you dealt with it and your experiences

Cpage101

Current BRS Vice President
Officer
BRS Member
Cyanobacteria it has been on the earth for millions of years and we have all dealt with in in our reef tanks. Nobody really knows 100% why it comes and goes and some people get it at the same time of year every year. Tell us about your experiences with Cyanobacteria and how you dealt with it and if it stayed gone.

(Below image Borrowed off Internet not mine)
58360B80-5A57-41F7-A579-416F05A7CFFA.png

I have it in spots and don't really do anything about it honestly. I'm more of a natural approach kind of reefer and will only use chemical treatment when all else has failed. With that said I do dose a slew of trace that has been sold to increase the chances of cyano.

I’ve done the wait and see/siphon during water changes approach. Works fine for a typical small outbreak.

Have also hit it with chemiclean when it got worse. Worked well but made me nervous about crashing O2 saturation. Tank was fine, but I was stressed.

I also blew up a Rio power head in tank recently, smelled like burnt death and nearly killed the tank but somehow the only fatality was some stubborn cyano. DO NOT recommend this method.

The boring answers hold true, keep nutrients under control and should help. I did run chemiclean a few times years ago and it worked well after two treatments.

I have some in my sump; however, it has almost all disappeared after I started dosing phosphates.

i get it every year around as soon as i stop opening my windows November to march April ish . but come April it goes away. weird but i don't do anything to to make it go away stays on the sand in 2 spots

Back