cycling new tank with dead shrimp and then MicroBacter7

zle

Non-member
Not sure anyone here using products such as MicroBacter7 or Stability to help cycle their tank but here is my testimonial.

So I started the nitrogen cycle on my 35g tank 8 days ago with I believe to be cured live rocks (alot of rocks), new sand and new water and a dead shrimp.
After four consecutive days of checking, the ammonia chart shows .25ppm, .50ppm, .50ppm, over 1.0+ ppm respectively.
After 4 days, I took the almost decayed shrimp out (very smell though) and started dosing the Microbacter7 every 12 hours. (manufacture suggested once a day).
On the 6th day, ammonia dropped to about .50ppm and on the 7th day, I got the bright yellow reading from the API test chart which is close Zero ppm or at least close to 0 ppm.
So this MicroBacter7 product seems to work great. With ammonia being at zero (or close), I was able to transfer my 2 fish (just fish) from my temporary tank over to this display last night and the fish were hanging out great this morning.

Last edited:
Sounds like what you would have seen with LR and a dead shrimp anyway :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like what you would have seen with LR and a dead shrimp anyway :)

+1 Whether or not there is viable bacteria the bottle, I have no idea. Regardless, no bacteria in a bottle can compare to established live rock. Established rock will have lots of bacteria and it will always be species that do establish marine aquariums. Contamination free, viable bacteria in a bottle is less certain.

Are you also talking about cured LR? If so, how do you know the bacteria in a bottle made a difference? (not arguing, just asking....)

Back