Cycling tank - green alge

RonD2008

Non-member
Hi,

I'm 6 weeks into cycling my 55 gallon tank, I have about 15 LBS of dead rock, that has been in there since the beginning of the cycle, and 27 LBS of live rock that I added 2 weeks ago. There seems to be spots of green alge forming mostly on the dead rock, and a little on one of the live rocks.

Should I be concerned about this green alge? I just tested my water and the readings were:

PH: 8.2
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrates: 20

Thanks for any feedback....

Don't be fooled by the seemingly "good" test results. If you added 27 pounds of live rock two weeks ago then you are just starting the cycle most likely. Algae at this point is not unexpected. You can keep your lights low/off for much of the time during this phase to help control the algae so it doesn't run amok.

Wes

was the sand live, or was it dry when you started. might not be a bad idea to get a cup or 2 from some diffrent tanks to help the process along...

An algae bloom is to be expected. You'll prob get anothe cycle from the 27 lbs you just added but it should be a little shorter than the first cycle. Once you've re-cycled you can then add a CUC (clean up crew hermits, snails etc) and they should help with the algae.

And +1 on getting a couple of cups of live sand from an established *pest* free tank...

Cycle all depends on where the LR came from.
If it came from a LFS then I would suspect you might have a slight cycle.If it came directly from another reefer's tank to yours,then a cycle would be less likely.
Are you using ro/di water?

I have 80LBS of live sand, 20LBS of dry sand, the live rock came from a LFS. I plan on cycling for another month anyway.

Oh and I am using ro/di.

Thanks

Back